Kirby's Return to Dream Land artwork
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Trophy)
|Appearance||Jester's hat with two branches. One orange with polka dots / stars and one red|
Kirby turns yellow in Kirby Super Star and Ultra
|Other Powers||Reach behind walls|
|Regular enemies||Waddle Doo, Gemra, Laser Ball (|
|Bosses||Metal General's saucers|
|“||Lash foes with a whiplike beam! Hit and Cycle! Grab and Capture! Spin in midair for a Revolution! Charge up and BAM! Wave Beam!”|
|— Beam's Flavor Text • Kirby's Return to Dream Land|
Beam is perhaps the most well known ability that Kirby has at his disposal. It is a very basic ability that Kirby has in almost every game, debuting in Kirby's Adventure. It is the favorite ability of Kirby's creator, Masahiro Sakurai.
The most basic (and the most common) move used by the Beam ability is the Beam Whip, in which Kirby creates a small chain of light and electrifies any enemy in his path. Because of its relatively slow movement and its weak offensive power, it may not be the best ability for close-combat. However, what it lacks in power, it makes up for in its long ranged qualities.
The Beam ability is obtained by eating a Waddle Doo or a Laser Ball (in Kirby Super Star and its remake only). Waddle Doo serves as the ability's Helper. In most cases, the Beam ability is the first kind of ability that Kirby comes across in his adventures.
Like most of Kirby's abilities, Beam cannot be used underwater. However, due to its electric properties, Beam can electrify the surface of water in Kirby: Squeak Squad and certain metallic platforms.
|Move||Controls||Description||Element||Damage 19960321||Damage 20111024|
|Beam Whip||B/1||An energy whip is thrown. This move comes with every single appearance of the Beam ability in the Kirby games.Beam Scroll makes the Beam Whip become stronger and larger.||Electricity||8||8|
|Wave Beam||Hold B/1, release||Fatty Whale). Also the strongest of all Beam attacks except for Capture Beam.||Electricity||30||32|
|Capture Beam||↑/↓/Forward + B/1 (Near enemy)||None||60 (thrown object)||16 (held object), 60 (thrown object)|
|Cycle Beam||B/1 while dashing||Kirby's Return to Dream Land, the orbs are like Beam Whip, but it makes a twirling effect.||None||18 per hit (2 hits max.)||18 per hit (3 hits max.)|
|Beam Blast||Dash, Jump, B/1||Electricity||16 (all hits)||16 (1st hit), 14 (2nd, 3rd hits)|
Super Smash Bros. BrawlEdit
|Kirby fires a beam like that used by some enemies! This is an easy weapon to use!|
|Use the Beam attack against enemies! Fire the Beam by pressing Y. This is a very handy and useful ability.|
|This Beam's like a whip! Whaa-pssssshh! Beam it!|
|Whip the beam! Hold to hover!|
|This beam's like a whip! Whaa-pssssshh! Beam it! Beam it! Beam it!|
|Flail this beam like a whip. It has many useful attacks. Try to store up a super shot!|
|Lash foes with a whiplike beam! Hit and Cycle! Grab and Capture! Spin in midair for a Revolution! Charge up and BAM! Wave Beam!|
- In the official artwork for Kirby Super Star and Kirby Super Star Ultra, stars are present on both sides of his hat, this also happens with the Mirror ability.
- Although Beam didn't directly appear in Kirby's Dream Land 2 and Kirby's Dream Land 3, if Spark Kirby and Rick teamed up, Kirby would gain an ability that behaved exactly the same as Beam.
- It is common for the games to repeat quotes, such as in Kirby: Squeak Squad, Kirby & the Amazing Mirror and Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, although Kirby: Squeak Squad added two "Beam it!"s to the quote.
- While most games show Kirby using the beam with his hand, Kirby Super Star, Kirby Super Star Ultra, and Kirby's Return to Dream Land show Kirby using the beam with a rod.
- Interestingly, in the three games Kirby has a rod, he has multiple attacks for this ability.
- Despite being the favorite ability of Kirby's creator, it is not seen in the anime.
- In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, there is a super version of the Beam ability called Flare Beam.
- In Kirby: Canvas Curse, when Kirby is in midair and he uses Beam Whip, it resembles Revolution Beam from Kirby's Return to Dream Land.