Kirby's Return to Dream Land artwork
|In the anime||#J51/#E49 - #J57/#E57 - #J78/#E78 - #J84/#E84 - #J85/#E85 - #J100/#E100|
|Appearance||Old: Blue, floppy cap with a white rim and pompom on the end. Bombs are solid black.|
New: Blue party hat with a yellow, a green, and a red star on it, a red ribbon on the top, a large white rim, and a blue, diamond-shaped gem with a yellow rim on the front. Bombs are dark gray-blue with several lighter gray-blue stars on them.
|Other Powers||Lights fuses (|
|Regular enemies||Bomb Poppy Bros. Jr., Jungle Bomb, Skud, Pedo, Rockn, Balloon Bomber, Foley, Prank, Bomb Perot, Volm|
|Mid-bosses||Poppy Bros. Sr. (|
Bombar's bombs, Doc's bombs, Boxy's bombs, Security Force's missiles and mines
|Bosses||Miracle Matter's bombs (bomb form), Mr. Dooter's bombs, Metal General's missiles, Moley's bombs, Mrs. Moley's bombs, Wiz's bombs, Daroach's bombs, Dark Daroach's bombs, Clanky Woods' missiles, Susie's missiles|
|Helper||Poppy Bros. Jr.|
|“||Throw lots of bombs at your enemies!”|
|— Kirby Battle Royale - Kirby's 25th Anniversary Copy Ability Poll|
Being Kirby's most explosive ability after Crash, the Bomb ability allows Kirby to create and utilize an endless supply of large, black bombs. He can throw them at all angles and toss them like bowling balls in Kirby's Return to Dream Land. Bombs can also pass through spikes in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, but not in Kirby: Triple Deluxe. The bombs will explode on contact with an enemy or any solid object.
In Kirby Air Ride, Kirby wields a very large black bomb. Kirby can only throw the bomb in front of him, but he can choose the distance. Once thrown, it will detonate on the ground, creating a dangerous explosion that will expand to a gigantic size. Once it expands to its limit, however, it will disappear. In this game, Bomb is a one-time use ability.
|Move||Controls||Description||Element||Damage 19960321||Damage 20111024||Damage|
|Hold a bomb/Ready Bomb||B/1 (not holding bomb)||
Kirby creates a bomb and holds it.The bomb will explode if held for too long, and will hurt Kirby and Helpers around him.
|Throw a bomb/Throw Bomb||B/1 (while holding bomb)||Kirby throws the bomb. Bombs will explode on contact.||None||16 (both bomb and explosion)||16 (bomb), 26 (explosion only)||20|
|B/1 next to foe (KRtDL) (near enemy, not holding bomb)||Kirby sets a bomb on an enemy (bosses and undefeated mid-bosses will not be affected by this). The enemy will be stunned until the bomb explodes.||None||26||26||20|
|Drop a bomb/Bomb Set||↓ + B/1||Kirby drops a bomb on the ground in front of him. The bomb explodes after a few seconds.||None||16||28||20|
|Straight Throw / Bomb Bowl||Dash + B/1||
Kirby throws a bomb that flies straight ahead, and the bomb is unaffected by gravity.
Kirby tosses a bomb along the ground. It will roll a short way before stopping, and exploding a few seconds later.
|Ready Bomb, Crouch, A||Kirby does a sweep with the bomb in his hand. The bomb will be set on the ground, though it will automatically explode on contact with an enemy.||Fire||N/A||N/A|
Robobot Armor Mode
|Boomstepper||Press and release B||The Robobot Armor fires a bomb robot that walks until it hits a target or until about 8 seconds pass. The robot can walk on walls and ceilings.||Fire|
|Change Throw Angle||Hold B||The Robobot Armor may throw the robot higher, depending on how long B is held.||Fire|
Bomb Kirby in the anime retains the same look and attacks as in the games. He can create and throw an unlimited number of bombs at will. He can also create bombs of varying sizes.
In the transformation sequence, Kirby cringes, inflates and turns red, then explodes. Bomb Kirby appears from the smoke of the explosion, creates a bomb, and holds it over his head. The sound made when Kirby creates a bomb is replaced in the 4Kids dub.
|Bomb transformation English version|
|Bomb transformation Japanese version|
Bomb, along with Fighter, is the third most frequently used Copy Ability, with six appearances.
- Kirby Takes the Cake (First Use)
- A Half-Baked Battle
- Right Hand Robot
- Mumbies Madness
- A Sunsational Surprise / A Sunsational Puzzle
- Fright to the Finish / Fight to the Finish
|Blast your enemies to bits! Take accurate aim and throw carefully. Your throw will be controlled by Y.|
|Use B to pull out a bomb, and press B again to throw it. Move the +Control Pad to change where to throw it.|
|HOLD! THROW!! BOOM!!|
|Grab a bomb and hold the button to set the throw angle. Toss it and it'll go Ka-BOOM!|
|Prep a huge bomb, aim it, and--KA-BOOM! Get above your enemies and boom, boom, boom! Bowl a perfect BOOM!|
|Raise a huge bomb above your head, adjust the angle, and give it a toss. Blast, explode, and detonate from a distance! Or drop a bomb right next to an enemy. KABOOM!|
|Raise a huge bomb above your head, adjust the angle and throw! Detonate from afar...or drop a bomb right next to an enemy. BOOM!|
|“||Ever gone bowling with Bombs? Once Kirby gets this ability, you can do it anytime! You can also use expert aim to lob them at any angle.”|
|— Bomb's description • Kirby's Return to Dream Land official site|
|“||The unstoppable marching bombs! Boomstepper!”|
|— In-game description for the Bomb Mode of Robobot Armor • Kirby: Planet Robobot|
- This Copy Ability's cap's original appearance is a specific reference to Poppy Bros. Jr.'s and Poppy Bros. Sr.'s attire.
- This Copy Ability's original appearance may also be, like Sword, a reference to Link, because of the hat and the bomb itself. Link uses both swords and bombs, and wears a floppy cap in The Legend of Zelda series.
- Even more, in Kirby Super Star and Kirby Super Star Ultra, Kirby holds, drops, and throws bombs in exactly the same manner as Link in A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, and Ocarina of Time.
- Similar to Link, Kirby can also hurt himself with said bombs, but in the latter's case, he can only do so if he is still holding onto one.
- Bomb appeared in the trailer of Kirby GCN, having some qualities from previous Kirby games, like Bomb Set. The ability has also shown a completely different hat unlike the previous Kirby games, which resembles an orange party hat with yellow stars. There was also a new Bomb enemy, which rode on a big ball around the size of a Golem. A similarly redesigned hat (though more "bombastic") was introduced in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, which also redesigned the bombs to have blue star marks.
- While there are Ice Bombs and Thunder Bombs, there are no Fire Bombs because the regular bomb already has the element of fire.
- This is bypassed in Kirby Star Allies, where Bomb can be imbued with Fire. This is likely because Bomb no longer retains its fire properties.
- In Kirby Fighters Deluxe, Bomb's rare hat allows Kirby to throw bombs covered in heart patterns. According to designer Kenichiro Kita, this design was chosen to appeal to girls.
- For Kirby's 25th Anniversary, Nintendo held a public poll asking which Copy Ability was the most popular, where the winner would be incorporated into the then-upcoming game 'Kirby: Battle Royale'. In it, Bomb is erroneously labelled as debuting from Kirby's Adventure instead of Kirby Super Star.