Kirby Super Star Ultra artwork
Super Smash Bros. series
|Points Given||1200 |
|“||Me want to train with Kirby.”|
|— Bonkers • Kirby: Right Back at Ya!|
Bonkers is a gorilla-like mid-boss in the Kirby series. He has armor and a giant hammer. He also sometimes tosses explosive coconuts that Kirby can inhale and use as projectiles. Certain coconuts are larger and will explode, and in games with health bars, these do more damage. When Bonkers is swallowed, Kirby gets the potent Hammer ability. In Kirby Super Star and Kirby Super Star Ultra, he appears as the Helper for the Hammer ability. However, unlike Kirby, he cannot use the Hammer Throw, probably because Helpers cannot lose their abilities. In Helper to Hero, he wears a red shirt rather than a purple one and he resembles his appearance in Kirby's Adventure. He reappears in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition, Kirby: Triple Deluxe, and Kirby: Planet Robobot.
Bonkers appears to be a gorilla-like creature who wields a large hammer, and has no visible eyes. He appears to wear black pants with torn legs and a belt, and a "jacket" with slits in it for his arms. The muscles on his arms are concentrated to the area around his supinator, in a similar fashion to Popeye. His armor makes it look like he has purple sideburns and a Pompadour haircut. In Kirby: Planet Robobot, Bonkers is mechanically modified, as his ears and lower jaw are covered with metal.
Bonkers can use many of the same moves as Hammer Kirby. His most basic attack is charging forward and then pounding the ground with his hammer. Bonkers will also throw explosive coconuts which can be inhaled and spat back at him. In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Bonkers will occasionally move towards the player and unleash the devastating Hammer Flip attack. This is one of two new moves he gains in this game, the other being a spinning Hammer Twirl attack.
|First Appearance||Goin' Bonkers|
|Last Appearance||Goin' Bonkers|
|English Voice||Maddie Blaustein|
|Japanese Voice||Nobuo Tobita|
Bonkers lived in a jungle until a circus crew captured and trained him for the circus. While Bonkers was held against his will, the ringmaster decided to watch his favorite show, which was the Kirby show. This is how Bonkers got inspired to meet Kirby in person, so, without letting the circus find out, he quietly escaped and wandered off to Dream Land in search of his favorite hero.
When he finally got to Dream Land, the Cappies at first thought he came to battle Kirby, but soon everyone learned that Bonkers really wanted to train with Kirby. Knowing this, King Dedede had plans for Bonkers, so first he asked Bonkers to impress Kirby with his hammer skills, and tried to smash Kirby with a boulder, but Bonkers smashed the boulder with his hammer to make sure his favorite superhero wasn't hurt at all. Dedede finally resorts to taking him all the way to his castle and getting Nightmare Enterprises to turn Bonkers into a monster. He was later returned to normal, however, and he left, hoping to continue his training.
In the Super Smash Bros. series
Bonkers appears as an enemy in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS's Smash Run mode. Arguably the strongest Kirby enemy in the game, he can take many hits, deals great amounts of damage, and does not flinch when assaulted. He primarily attacks with Hammer Nail (which can trap the player in the ground), Hammer Swing, and Hammer Flip (which he winds up for an upward blow like Kirby's version instead of a downward smash). Bonkers drops huge power-ups when defeated. In addition to appearing as an enemy in this game, Bonkers appears as a trophy.
|“||A large enemy who wields a giant hammer as a weapon. Bonkers battles you with several moves--his hammer attack and coconut throw could be considered his specialties. Kirby can inhale Bonkers to learn Hammer and Smash techniques. Not many know this, but Bonkers can also break down walls and pound down stakes.”|
|— Trophy description • Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|“||Bonkers looks quite a lot like a gorilla and swings a giant hammer with a huge launch potential. If he hits you with his own Hammer Flip attack, it's an instant KO. If that isn't bad enough, he also throws exploding coconuts. Bonkers is seriously out to ruin your day.”|
|— Trophy description • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS|
|“||Bonkers is so tough that your attacks won't make him flinch at all. However, he does leave himself wide open after swinging his hammer.”|
|— Tip • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS|
|“||This gorilla-like foe uses a hammer to strike with a variety of attacks. When he charges up Hammer Flip, it can hit you for serious pain.”|
|— Tip • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS|
- In Bonkers' official Kirby's Adventure artwork, he had visible yellow eyes. Yet, his sprites in the game do not show his eyes.
- While being a helper, if Bonkers warps to Kirby while he is beneath a low roof, Bonkers will not be able to move, the only way to get out is by warping back to Kirby after he is out of said low roof. This also happens with Bugzzy, another relatively big helper.
- In Kirby Super Star and Kirby Super Star Ultra, inhaling two Bonkers and letting the roulette run gives Kirby invincibility.
- He is one of the three mid-bosses that are allied with Kirby in the anime, the other two being Chef Kawasaki and Phan Phan.
- In the anime, Bonkers' hammer has a "B" in place of the star symbol seen in the games.
- He is the only returning mid-boss in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, as the rest are new.
- Also in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, there is another version of Bonkers called Super Bonkers, who grants the Grand Hammer Super Ability.
- Bonkers is one of the few characters in the Kirby series to have toes, others include Daroach (and Dark Daroach), Sir Slippy, Gao Gao, Storo, Box Boxer, Gaw Gaw, Moonja, Jumpershoot, and Acchi.
- "Bonkers" is slang for "mentally unbalanced; mad; crazy."