Kirby's Return to Dream Land artwork
Super Smash Bros. series (special move)
|In the anime||#J09/#E09 - #J27/#E25 - #J44/#E41|
|Appearance||Original: A partially yellow hat with a white rim. It has two black eyes, small wings on both sides, and a curved silver blade on the top in the middle.|
Anime: A completely solid yellow hat with a same color rim. It has two black eyes, small wings on both sides, and a curved silver blade in the middle.
Current: An all yellow cap with a light yellow rim. It has two black eyes, small wings on both sides, and a yellow curved blade on the top in the middle.
|Other Powers||Cuts Rope, Grass|
|Regular enemies||Sir Kibble, Kapar, Bukiset, Fishbone, Sawyer, Boomerang Poppy Bros. Jr., Juckle|
|Mid-bosses||Waiu, Kibble Blade|
|Bosses||Mr. Shine, Miracle Matter, Flowery Woods|
|“||A boomerang that returns to your hand after being thrown. You can charge it up, steer its flight path upward or downward, and use it to cut ropes!”|
|— Cutter's Flavor Text • Kirby: Triple Deluxe|
Cutter gives Kirby the ability to utilize an infinite amount of curved, boomerang-like blades that appear on the cap he acquires. If the cutter misses Kirby on its return, it will keep going on behind him. Players can uses this tactic to attack enemies behind Kirby without turning around. In later games, Kirby can guide the blade upwards and downwards after throwing it.
In Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, the "blade" Kirby uses is actually his own face, which peels off his body and travels forward. In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Cutter Kirby can charge his cutter to make it larger and more powerful. Doing this also allows it to bounce off of surfaces several times.
|Move||Controls||Description||Element||Damage 19960321||Damage 20111024|
|Cutter Boomerang||B/Y/1||Kirby tosses the blade from his hat in front of him (it reappears immediately). In most games it can be controlled with ↑ or ↓. By causing the cutter to miss Kirby on its way back, enemies behind Kirby can be attacked without him turning around.|
Copy Scroll makes the blade larger, more powerful, blue colored, and enables it to pass through enemies, making it able to hit some more than once, and go through certain walls.
|Hyper Boomerang||Hold 1, then release||Kirby holds and charges a Cutter Boomerang in his hand until it enlarges and flashes. This cutter is larger and more powerful, and will also bounce off of walls several times before disappearing.||None||N/A||24 (1st hit), 16 (1st rebound hit), 14 (rebound combo hits); max. damage = 72|
|Cutter Dash||B/Y/1 + Dash||Kirby dashes forward, swinging the cutter upward like a sword.||None||18 (initial hit), 16 (dash momentum)||16|
|Sweep Cutter||Hold B/Y/1 (Midair)||Kirby throws a Cutter Boomerang like normal, but holds out another one while doing so, causing extra damage to anyone in melee range.||None||22||22|
|Cutter Drop||Down + B/Y/1 (Midair)||Kirby holds his cutter in front of him as he falls down damaging enemies. By dashing in midair the attack goes slightly faster.||None||22||22|
|Cleaving Cutter||B/Y/1 (near enemy)||Kirby attacks enemies using his Cutter Boomerang as a sword and slashes the enemy||None||6||12 (1st hit), 8 (2nd hit)|
|Nonstop Cutter/Final Cutter||Up/Down/Forward + B/Y/1 (near enemy) or mash 1 near enemy (comboed from Cleaving Cutter)||Kirby jumps in the air and brings down his blade in a huge slash, generating an energy wave on the ground that explodes on contact with a wall. This move is sometimes used by Sword, but with the first two slashes removed.||None||8 (rising slash), 32 (falling slash and shockwave - only one can hit the enemy); max. damage w/ Cleaving Cutter = 46||7 (rising slash), 8 (falling slash), 35 (shockwave near), 40 (shockwave far); max. damage w/ Cleaving Cutter = 70|
|Rick||B||Rick throws Kirby like a boomerang.||None|
|Coo||B||Coo throws three spinning feathers. One going upwards, one forwards, and one downwards. In the third game he only shoots one feather, but it can be angled.||None|
|Kine||B||Kine shoots a large blast out of his mouth that goes a long distance.||None|
|Nago||B||Nago swings his partner upwards and fires a large purple shock wave that damages aerial enemies.||None|
|ChuChu||B||ChuChu is swung around by Kirby. It is nearly impossible for the duo to get damaged.||None|
|Pitch||B||Pitch becomes a boomerang that flies around. While Pitch is flying his partner is left with no way to defend himself.||None|
In the Super Smash Bros. series
In the Super Smash Bros. series, Final Cutter is Kirby's Up Special Move. Kirby slices upwards and then downwards, blade in front of him. Upon landing, he will create a shockwave. In Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Kirby can change his Final Cutter using Custom Moves. He can now also use Wave Cutter or Upper Cutter. Wave Cutter acts the same as Final Cutter, albeit the blade can't damage opponents, but upon landing, he will send powerful rocks flying. Upper Cutter allows Kirby to initiate a powerful slice upward, but no slice downward, putting Kirby into his helpless state. This move is similar to Marth's Dolphin Slash.
In Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
Cutter Kirby in Kirby: Right Back at Ya! uses the same duck hat as the later games, and appears whenever Kirby manages to inhale things like blades and saws (anything that's sharp except for an actual sword). It is revealed here that the Cutter that Kirby uses is stored on the hat when it isn't in use. This version of Cutter is based on the Kirby Super Star version, but with new attacks. Cutter Boomerang is the primary attack, but Kirby often uses Final Cutter to finish off enemies.
In the transformation sequence, the Cutter cap lands on Kirby's head and spins before bouncing and coming to a stop in the proper position. The Cutter appears and flies around Kirby, then lands on his cap from behind.
|Kirby can throw a series of cutters that return like boomerangs!|
|The Cutter can cut anything in it's path. Use it to cut down enemies, as well as ropes that get in your way.|
|The Cutter Boomerang is coming right back at ya!|
|Throw the Cutter farther by holding B. Aim up or down with the +Control Pad.|
|Remote Cutter BOOMERANG!|
|Throw a boomerang all over! Slash! Jab! Strike! You can even cut ropes!|
|Cut through ropes with the blade of a well-aimed boomerang. Aim up or down, or charge up for a Hyper Boomerang!|
|A boomerang that returns to your hand after being thrown. You can charge it up, steer its flight path upward or downward, and use it to cut ropes!|
- The flavor text in Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, as well as the ability icon, is a reference to the anime, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
- In Kirby Super Star, the Cutter Boomerang was blue whenever it was in use. In every subsequent game afterwards, it remained yellow when used (except for Kirby: Squeak Squad where obtaining its copy scroll changed it to a larger, stronger, and blue blade; Kirby Super Star Ultra only retained this when used as a sword).
- In most games, Kirby can throw multiple cutters, but in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, he can only fire one at a time because he uses his own face as the cutter. Though humorous, it leaves Kirby vulnerable; he is unable to fly or attack again until his face returns to his body.
- Kirby could use Link's boomerang after swallowing the latter in the original Super Smash Bros., similar to the Cutter ability. In later Super Smash Bros. games, Link uses a bow and arrow as his neutral B, therefore Kirby gained a bow after swallowing him instead of a boomerang.
- The bill of Cutter Kirby's hat in the games is white, but it is yellow in Kirby: Right Back at Ya!.
- In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, there was originally going to be a super version of the Cutter ability, but it did not appear in the final version.
- Cutter, along with Animal and Circus, are the only abilities to include eyes as part as their attire.
- Pre-release screenshots of Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards reveal that the colors of Cutter and Needle's ability icons were swapped; Cutter was originally orange and Needle was originally green.
- In Kirby Fighters Deluxe, Cutter's alternate costume is Sir Kibble's helmet.