|Adding data mined upcoming content for a piece of media that has not been confirmed by official sources (such as Nintendo or HAL) is discouraged|
|This article is a stub - It needs expansion!|
|You can help Kirby Wiki by editing it.|
|This article needs images|
|You can help by uploading and adding them to the page.|
|“||Once you’ve completed a world, the Dream Palace opens, allowing you to add classic characters like Meta Knight, King Dedede, and more to your team.”|
|— Official Kirby Star Allies website|
Dream Friends are special friends (and even a few foes, like King Dedede and Marx) from past Kirby titles. They can only be recruited by using the Dream Rod in a Dream Palace; when the Dream Rod is used, a roulette will appear, and whichever Dream Friend the roulette stops on is the one Kirby will recruit. If the player is unhappy with the Dream Friend retrieved, the player can cancel adding them to the team, and the Dream Rod will respawn. Once recruited, Dream Friends act identically to normal friends recruited via Friend Hearts, albeit with unique movesets.
New Dream Friends will be added as time progresses through free updates.
The 2.0.0 update was on March 28, 2018 and added Rick & Kine & Coo, Marx, and Gooey. Playing through Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go! with these characters reveals slightly altered stage designs and new music. Murals for the Dream Friends were also added in various stages.
A new update is supposed to arrive this summer. An announcement was posted, and 30 minutes later, a vague teaser for one of the Dream Friends was posted on the official Japanese Kirby Twitter account. This was later revealed to be Daroach. Dark Meta Knight was announced in a similar fashion.
|Available at Launch||Bandana Waddle Dee||King Dedede||Meta Knight|
|Wave 1||Rick & Kine & Coo||Marx||Gooey|
|Wave 2||Daroach||Dark Meta Knight|
|Element||King Dedede||Meta Knight||Bandana Waddle Dee||Marx|
|Blizzard||Blizzard Hammer||Blizzard Sword||Blizzard Spear||Blizzard Marx|
|Bluster||Bluster Hammer||Bluster Sword||Bluster Spear||Bluster Marx|
|Sizzle||Sizzle Hammer||Sizzle Sword||Sizzle Spear||Sizzle Marx|
|Splash||Splash Hammer||Splash Sword||Splash Spear||Splash Marx|
|Zap||Zap Hammer||Zap Sword||Zap Spear||Zap Marx|
|Team-Up Attack||Mix (Ability 1)||Mix (Ability 2)|
|“||You can call on Dream Friends at the Dream Palace in Story Mode. Make your dream team!”|
|— Find them at the Dream Palace • Kirby Star Allies|
|“||You can now call on Dream Friend King Dedede! Head to a Dream Palace!”|
|— Dream Friend King Dedede • Kirby Star Allies|
|“||You can now call on Dream Friend Meta Knight! Head to a Dream Palace!”|
|— Dream Friend Meta Knight • Kirby Star Allies|
|“||There are now 6 Dream Friends! Use them all as allies!”|
|— More Dream Friends! • Kirby Star Allies|
- Bandana Waddle Dee is playable from the beginning and doesn’t need to be unlocked.
- King Dedede and Meta Knight are unlocked by defeating their respective boss.
- They can be befriended right after defeating them in a small time frame by throwing a Friend Heart on them.
- Rick & Kine & Coo are playable as one character, not individually as in past games.
- Rick transforms into Coo while floating, and into Kine while swimming.
- Unlike regular Friends, a Dream Friend will use their original color palette regardless of their player slot. However, if a duplicate of the same Dream Friend is obtained afterwards, the second instance of that Dream Friend will follow the usual yellow/blue/green color scheme depending on which player slot they are in.
- This is different in The Ultimate Choice, where Dream Friends will only use their original color scheme if in Player 1's slot. If in slots 2-4, they will use their slot's respective color scheme, as with regular Friends.
- While many Dream Friend attacks are wholly original, many others are similar to those of existing Copy Abilities:
- King Dedede's moveset is directly based on Hammer as in previous games, with the sole addition of his tripping dash attack from his boss fights.
- Meta Knight's moveset is based on Sword and Wing, as in previous games.
- Bandana Waddle Dee's moveset is directly based on Spear from previous games, and is the only character to have said Ability in the game.
- Rick & Kine & Coo use moves largely identical to the moves they provided Kirby: Rick uses Burning and Stone, Coo uses Cutter and Parasol (and flies in a similar fashion to Wing), and Kine uses Ice. If a friend piggybacks on Rick while he is using Stone, they will run in place on top of him as he rolls, just like Kirby and Gooey did in the original games.
- Marx's ball attacks are similar to Bomb's Bomb Throw, Bomb Bowl, and Bomb Drop.
- Gooey's tongue attacks are based on those of Whip, and he also uses Burning, Stone, and Parasol, all of which were available to him to copy in Kirby's Dream Land 3.
- As of update 2.0.0, murals of all available Dream Friends, depicting artwork of them from a previous game, are hidden throughout the game's levels:
- King Dedede's mural is located in Clash at Castle Dedede's first room, hidden in the ceiling above the staircase.
- Meta Knight's mural is located in Gabbel Moon in the bonus room with a Key Dee, accessed by traveling up the path the Key Dee runs down.
- Bandana Waddle Dee's mural is located in Sector B during the Friend Train segment in the fourth room after making the first two jumps.
- Rick & Kine & Coo's murals are located in Inside Islands in the area with the Room Guarder: Kine's is located in the bottom left after entering the water, Rick's is located in the left of the area with the Waddle Dee resting on a palm tree, and Coo's is found in the top left after emerging from the water at the end of the room.
- Marx's mural is located in Extra Planet β in the last room by pulling the ceiling switch above the goal and flying up into the hole.
- Gooey's mural is located in Eastern Wall in the room with Two Faces, in the pit left behind by the second elevator block.
- When playing as a Dream Friend that was added by an update in Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go!, the layouts of Green Gardens, Gatehouse Road and Jambandra Base will be altered to match levels from that character's original game:
- As Rick & Kine & Coo, Green Gardens is stage 1 of Kirby's Dream Land 2’s Grass Land, Gatehouse Road is stage 1 of Red Canyon, and Jambandra Base is stages 1 and 7 of Dark Castle.
- As Marx, Green Gardens is Green Greens, Gatehouse Road is Peanut Plains, and Jambandra Base is Halfmoon.
- As Gooey, Green Gardens is stage 1 of Kirby's Dream Land 3's Grass Land, Gatehouse Road is stage 1 of Sand Canyon, and Jambandra Base is stages 5 and 6 of Iceberg.
- As of update 2.0.0 onward, each Dream Friend has a special jingle that plays when they are recruited or reach a checkpoint in Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go! that is a remix of a song associated with that character:
- King Dedede's jingle is an excerpt from Masked Dedede's theme.
- Meta Knight's jingle is the ending theme of Revenge of Meta Knight.
- Bandana Waddle Dee's jingle is the title theme of Kirby's Dream Land, and the remix is particularly reminiscent of the Wii Channel theme from Kirby's Return to Dream Land.
- Rick & Kine & Coo's jingle is Rick's theme from Kirby's Dream Land 2.
- Marx's jingle is the beginning of his boss theme.
- Gooey's jingle is the Ripple Field map theme from Kirby's Dream Land 3.
- Daroach's jingle is the opening of "Here Come the Squeaks!"
- Dark Meta Knight's jingle is the beginning of his boss theme.