Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land artwork
|Appearance||A purple or blue parka. Originally, Kirby turns cyan.|
|Regular enemies||Snoppy, Transformer|
|Mid-bosses||Mr. Frosty (|
|“||Turn supercold to freeze foes!”|
|— Kirby Battle Royale - Kirby's 25th Anniversary Copy Ability Poll|
Freeze is one of Kirby's Copy Abilities. It first appeared in the game Kirby's Adventure. It appears rather infrequently compared to his other abilities, mainly because of its simplistic form of attack.
Freeze is essentially a defensive version of the regular and much more common Ice ability. When used, Kirby surrounds himself with a frigid snowstorm which freezes approaching enemies. They can then be kicked toward other enemies as ice blocks. This is exactly the same as the Spark ability (and to a lesser degree, Needle), albeit for freezing enemies instead of electrocuting or poking them.
In games when the Freeze ability is obtainable, Kirby can inhale some snowy enemies like Chilly or Snoppy to get the ability. In some games when Freeze isn't an available ability, Kirby can use a similar attack to Freeze's blizzard attack as Ice Kirby.
In Kirby Air Ride, Kirby can create a small snowstorm around his machine, which can destroy enemies and damage other racers. It is unlike its forms in previous and later games, as its range is smaller and it doesn't last long.
In many games, Freeze's form of attack is used as one of Ice's attacks.
|Freezer Blizzard||B/A/Tap with Stylus||A small blizzard surrounds Kirby. This freezes any nearby enemy & mid-bosses (when defeated). Only projectiles can damage Kirby when this ability is activated.||Ice|
|Kirby can create a shield to freeze enemies! He can then knock away the frozen blocks!|
|Stop! Come no closer! I'll chill you to the bone!|
|Slide along and KO foes!|
- In the French version of Kirby's Adventure, the icons for Freeze and Ice are swapped.
- Despite being the more limited Copy Ability between Ice and itself, Freeze made an appearance in the Kirby series before Ice.
- In the original Kirby's Adventure and Kirby Super Star, the move is a simple square shape which surrounds Kirby. In their remakes, Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land and Kirby Super Star Ultra, this was replaced by a hexagonal field. While the ability is naturally absent in Kirby's Epic Yarn, Chilly's signature move consisted of snowflakes in the classic square pattern.
- The Freeze parka looks much like the blue parka owned by Popo from Ice Climber. In the Super Smash Bros. series, Kirby wears this when he inhales Popo (or Nana).
- This is one of two abilities from Kirby Air Ride to not appear in Kirby: Right Back At Ya!, the other being Plasma.