|“||Finally, it's my turn!”|
|— Gim • Kirby Star Allies|
Gim's body is entirely mechanical, featuring a tinted lens for an eye, a toothy smile substituted by a grate, and exhaust pipes rising from his back. He wears a blue cap with a yellow brim, and has red metal feet (like other enemies though Gim can come in a variety of different colorations). He has a retractable arm with a white glove on the end. He also carries around a yo-yo, which he can utilize as a surprisingly dangerous weapon.
Gim appears as a regular enemy appearing mainly in industrialized and mechanical areas. He slowly makes his way across the ground and tries to damage Kirby with his little red yo-yo when he gets into range. When Gim is a Helper, his yo-yo doesn't go as far as when he is an enemy. He serves as both the supplier and Helper to the Yo-Yo ability in both games. As a Helper, Gim is capable of using all of the attacks in Yo-Yo Kirby's arsenal. Gim can also perform Break Spin underwater.
In Kirby Super Star Ultra, a card of him appears in the sub-game Kirby Card Swipe. Gim's card features his enemy coloration.
In Helper to Hero, Gim is playable. This version of Gim features purple feet, a red lens, and a light red hat.
Gim appears as a keychain in Kirby: Triple Deluxe.
Gim appears in Kirby Star Allies as the enemy and friend for the Yo-Yo ability, as with Kirby Super Star and its remake. He has a few design changes, however, namely his feet being replaced by tennis shoes. Like all other friends, He gains his respective ability hat when made a friend.
Gim's name is feasibly derived from gimbal, a pivoted support comparable to a gyroscope. It is used in objects such as compasses and camera apparatuses and allows them to rotate freely along a single axis. This is paralleled in Gim's ability to preform spinning break-dance moves.
Gim's name may also be based on the word gimmick, a trick or mechanism meant to draw attention, which may explain Gim's eye-catching yo-yo tricks and spinning break-dance moves when he is a Helper and a playable character in Helper to Hero.
- Gim's feet in Kirby Super Star and its remake heavily resemble the shoes of Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Even though Gim has one eye, when he turns around, it "switches" sides of his body. This is due to sprite mirroring, a technique used by the game designers to use up less data.
- In Kirby Super Star, Gim has an unused enemy palette featuring a red hat with a yellow brim, a red eye, a brighter metal body, and light-purple feet. This was later used in Kirby Super Star Ultra as its Helper to Hero coloration, but with the dark-red feet instead being light-purple.
- In Kirby Star Allies, Gim's arm is attached to the side of its body in-game, despite it coming out of the hole in his face in official artwork.
- In Kirby Star Allies' Pause Screen description for Gim, the description mistakenly reads "With word of a mechanized invasion in the the works...".
- Gim's special quote in Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go! appears to imply that the events of Kirby: Planet Robobot have not taken place.
- This could also imply that Gim just heard about the invasion after it happened.
|“||With word of a mechanized invasion in the the works, Gim sets out on a journey! What does the robot see? Why does he use his mischievous gimmick? Who knows?”|
|— Guest Star ???? Star Allies Go! description • Kirby Star Allies|
|“||A cool robot who's really good with a yo-yo. He can unleash some sweet breakdancing moves to befuddle foes. When he teams up with friends who have elemental powers, they can charge up the Yo-Yo to make it even more powerful.”|
|— Choose your buddy • Play Nintendo|
|Kirby Star Allies Gim Showcase|