Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition artwork
|Debut||Kirby's Dream Land 2 (1995)|
|Latest Appearance||Super Smash Bros. Melee (2001) (cameo)|
|“||I can use the same attacks as Kirby!”|
|— Gooey • Instruction manual of Kirby's Dream Land 3|
Gooey is a friendly blob of Dark Matter.
In the Games
Gooey first appears in this game, where he is found in bags after defeating certain mid-bosses. He only appears when the animal friend that's found in the bag is already paired with Kirby when the bag is opened, and he replenishes Kirby's health.
Gooey can be controlled by the CPU or by the second player. Gooey has similar powers to Kirby, with the exception that he licks up enemies as opposed to inhaling them. He can lick up stars, and can devour enemies underwater. Kirby inhales stars, and cannot eat underwater. However, unlike Kirby, Gooey can't eat two enemies at the same time. During the game's final battle in space, Gooey's flying form is similar to Dark Matter's appearance, but with a different color scheme and facial features. It costs Kirby one square (2 HP) out of five to summon Gooey.
|“||While Kirby swallows enemies in order to copy their powers, Gooey wraps them up in his tongue to steal their abilities. In Kirby's Dream Land 2, he occasionally appeared inside of a bag, but by Kirby's Dream Land 3, he was a full-fledged partner. He could be controlled by setting him up as Player Two.”|
|— Trophy description • Super Smash Bros. Melee|
- Gooey appears as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. Melee.
- Gooey's use of his tongue to ingest enemies is similar to the abilities of Yoshi from the Mario series.
- The fact that Gooey is a friend of Kirby's proves that a being related to Dark Matter has its own free will, yet most Dark Matter will choose to follow their leader, Zero.
- Gooey is one of the few beings who uses his tongue as a method of attack. The others are Chameleo Arm, Peloo, Slobba, and Fangora.
- In Kirby's Dream Land 3, the player is able to exploit a glitch to regain health. When Kirby has one hit point, he can summon Gooey and then swallow him to gain two more hit points, boosting his vitality to a total of three. Summoning Gooey again will take away the vitality gained, so Kirby cannot do this repeatedly to fully recover.