Kirby's Return to Dream Land screenshot
|A place in|
|“||And a promise is a promise. I owe you a trip to my home. A trip to...Halcandra! Halcandra exists in another dimension. It's SUPER far away, but the Lor can fly us there in the blink of an eye! Pack some snacks, Kirby. We're off to Halcandra!”|
|— Magolor • Kirby's Return to Dream Land|
Halcandra is a planet introduced in Kirby's Return to Dream Land. Like the Halberd before it, it is most likely a pun on the name of HAL Laboratory. It is claimed to be the home planet of Magolor, an alien whom Kirby kindly helps throughout the game. Its terrain is generally volcanic with many mechanical facilities and very few plants. The plants it does have look almost mechanical.
Kirby and company come to Halcandra after collecting the five parts of the Lor Starcutter due to Magolor taking Kirby and the crew in the Lor Starcutter. While Halcandra exists in a different dimension, the repaired Lor Starcutter is able to cross dimensional tunnels and reach it instantly.
This planet contains two world levels: Egg Engines and Dangerous Dinner. The boss of Egg Engines is Metal General. However, if the game is played on Extra Mode, the second boss, HR-D3, is fought right after Metal General EX. The final boss of Halcandra is Landia, a four-headed dragon that shot the Lor Starcutter down twice, once in the beginning, and once in the end.
The civilization that existed on Halcandra are known only as "The Ancients." Magolor told Kirby that they are said to have created many legendary treasures and left Landia to protect their valuables. They not only created the original Lor Starcutter and Master Crown, but are also implied to have had a hand in Galactic Nova, the Star Rod, HR-D3, and numerous other artifacts.
- Halcandra may be (or may have been) the home planet of Galacta Knight. A planetoid from Dangerous Dinner can be seen in the background during Galacta Knight's battle in The True Arena. In addition, the VS. Galacta Knight quote states that Galacta Knight drifted into the universe from Another Dimension.
- The Mid-Boss Theme from Halcandra is a remix of the boss theme Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.
- The Halcandran beings that replaced the Waddle Dees in this world have similar looks to Magolor.
- Halcandra's name may also be a reference to C.S. Lewis' novel, Out of the Silent Planet, as the native name for Mars was "Malacandra."
- This reference also may imply that Halcandra is based off of Mars, as both are of a similar color and don't contain much visible life.