Kirby's Return to Dream Land artwork
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Trophy)
|In the anime||#J20/#E18 - #J28/#E26 - #J48/#E43 - #J66/#E66 - #J99/#E99|
|Appearance||A crown of ice crystals surrounded by a circlet or visor with either a blue gem or an orange gem in its center. Sometimes has light-blue tinted skin.|
|Other Powers||Freezes surface of water and lava|
|Regular enemies||Pengi, Master Pengi, Frigis, Snowl, Emp, Wappa, Prank, Bukiset|
|Mid-bosses||Yuki, Mr. Frosty (|
Ice Sphere Doomer
|Bosses||Miracle Matter's ice crystals (ice form), Dark Mind's blue stars, Goriath's snowballs|
|“||Frozen foe? Give it a kick! Glide gracefully across the land with an Ice Skate, and even cool down those hot, hot flames!”|
|— Ice's Flavor text • Kirby's Return to Dream Land|
Ice's main function is to unleash a wintery breath of ice, turning any enemy it touches into an ice cube. After that, Kirby is able to kick the frozen enemy forward into other enemies or obstacles. If the icy block isn't kicked shortly after it materializes, it automatically explodes. Rather than running, Kirby sometimes calmly ice-skates through the level, making it easier for him to kick his frostbitten foes along.
|Move||Controls||Description||Element||Damage 19960321||Damage 20111024|
|Ice Breath||B/Y||Kirby fires an icy blast from his mouth. The blast freezes enemies & mid-bosses (with defeated) on contact and they can be kicked around after that.|
Ability Scroll is found. It can also be used to freeze water or momentarily harden hot lava.
Freeze, but does not cover areas above or below him.
|Ice||10 (1st hit), 9 - 10 (repeat hits)||18 (1st hit near), 15 (1st hit far, repeat hits near), 13 (repeat hits far)|
|Ice Storm||Dash + B/Y/1 or B/Y/1 repeatedly||Kirby huddles down and encases himself in a freezing aura, easily freezing his enemies & mid-bosses (with defeated) and all the while making him practically invincible. This has the same properties as Freeze.||Ice||20 (all hits)||20 (1st hit), 17 (repeat hits)|
|Ice Sprinkle||B/Y/1 (Midair)||Kirby spins in midair and simultaneously breathes ice in the air, freezing airborne enemies & defeated mid-bosses.||Ice||18||22|
|Super Ice Sprinkle||Dash + B/Y/1 (Midair)||Kirby spins many times in midair while breathing ice. This attack can hit four times (||Ice||14 per hit||26 per hit|
|Ice Suction / Ice Ejection||↑/forward + B/Y/1 (Near Enemy)||Kirby sucks up a nearby enemy, and then, by pressing either B or Y or 1 , Kirby will spit the enemy back out, frozen solid.||Ice||70||62|
|Ice Kick||Run into Block||Kirby kicks in a forward direction. Kicked enemies & mid-bosses turn into a solid block of ice and can damage others in their way.||Ice||Untested||48 (kicked), 40 (stationary)|
|Dash + ↓ + 1||Kirby turns into a ball which rolls forward and explodes after a while.||Ice||N/A||38|
|Ice Block||R / A||Kirby hides in an ice cube. Depending on the game, it is either only aesthetic (||Ice||None||None|
|Ice Scatter||Release A||The ice cube that Kirby is hiding in explodes, dealing splash damage to nearby enemies.||Ice||N/A||16|
|Rick||B||Kirby and Rick become a large two part snowman and create a blizzard that acts exactly like the Freeze ability. In Kirby's Dream Land 3, it works similarly to when it appeared in Kirby's Dream Land 2, but it instead snows down snow from the top of the snowman.||Ice|
|Coo||B||Kirby breathes ice like normal but he can aim it in any direction. The duo lose altitude when the move is used. In the sequel, Coo just launches three angled icicles.||Ice|
|Kine||B||Kine surrounds himself in a blizzard like the ability Freeze, but he keeps moving. If the button is held down too long Kine freezes himself and can easily be attacked. In the sequel Kine freezes himself right away and acts like stone, dropping fast and becoming invincible.||Ice|
|Gooey||B||Gooey shoots off puffs of cold breath.||Ice|
|Nago||B||Nago aims Kirby downward as they jet out a burst of cold breath and launch through the air.||Ice|
|ChuChu||B||ChuChu lobs multiple snowballs at different angles.||Ice|
|Pitch||B||Pitch is cranked up and releases an icy blast of breath that can be aimed.||Ice|
Ice Kirby in the anime uses a slightly different hat design from the games with a six pointed blue gem and small visor at the front. His skin turns blue, as it does in Kirby Super Star. He can breathe icy wind at his enemy to freeze him or her, and naturally it's not very useful against an ice-based foe, like Ice Dragon, unless it's an "inside" job, but can use the Freezer Suction/Ejection and Ice Kick on non-ice foes.
In the transformation sequence, a chill wind makes Kirby shiver and turn blue before his crown of ice crystals appears and Kirby wears a visor crown.
|Kirby can freeze enemies with his cold breath! He can then throw them into others!|
|Turn Kirby into the ice man and turn the enemies into frozen blocks of ice. Don't slip!|
|First, I'll freeze 'em, then I'll kick 'em along! Brrrr!|
|Freeze foes with icy breath! Kick ice cubes into others! When you dash, you skate!|
|Frozen foe? Give it a kick! Glide gracefully across the land with an Ice Skate, and even cool down those hot, hot flames!|
- Along with Sword and Tornado, Ice is the 4th most commonly used copy ability in the anime, with five appearances.
- Ice Kirby appears as a collectible Trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. However, unlike all of the other copy ability trophies, the design of Ice Kirby's headband resembles the design used in the anime.
- In Kirby & the Amazing Mirror, Kirby won't slip on ice if he has this ability.
- Curiously, in Kirby Super Star Ultra, the gem is blue instead of orange. Also, in Kirby's sprite for Kirby Super Star, Ice Kirby's crown shares the same look as Fire Kirby and Plasma Kirby, though with a different color scheme.
- In the artwork, only the artwork from Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land and Kirby: Squeak Squad have Kirby's classic pink. However, in the Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land instruction manual, Ice Kirby's artwork shows him as being blue.
- In Kirby & the Amazing Mirror and Kirby: Squeak Squad, Kirby stays pink (he usually appears blue). This is most likely due to the Spray Paint feature of these games. In Kirby's Return to Dream Land Kirby stays pink because there are other color Kirbies in this game.
- In games without ability caps, Kirby will turn pale white and blue to signify this change. The exception to this is Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards, where he only changes color as he performs his special move.
- In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, there is a super version of the Ice ability called Snow Bowl. The appearance of the regular version of the ability is also much like how he looked in the anime, minus his skin color changing to blue and the vizor on the edge of the crown.
- In the French version of Kirby's Adventure, the icons for Ice and Freeze are swapped.