Kirby's Return to Dream Land artwork
Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Trophy)
|In the anime||#J20/#E18 - #J28/#E26 - #J48/#E43 - #J66/#E66 - #J99/#E99|
|Appearance||Old: A crown of ice crystals surrounded by a yellow (originally blue) circlet and a round orange gem in its center. Sometimes has light-blue tinted skin.|
Anime: Similar to the above, but the gem is blue and in a six-sided flake or star shape with a yellow outline, and there is an icy visor directly underneath it. Kirby turns blue.
New: The gem is from the anime, but the circlet is plain and violet. No color change.
|Other Powers||Freezes surface of water and lava|
|Regular enemies||Pengi, Master Pengy, Frigis, Snowl, Emp, Wappa, Prank, Bukiset, Antr (white)|
|Mid-bosses||Yuki, Mr. Frosty (|
Ice Sphere Doomer
|Bosses||Miracle Matter's ice crystals (ice form), Dark Mind's blue stars, Goriath's snowballs|
|“||Freeze enemies with Ice Breath. You can also glide gracefully along the ground with Ice Skate.”|
|— Ice's Flavor Text • Kirby: Planet Robobot|
Ice's main function is to unleash a wintery breath of ice, turning any enemy it touches into an ice cube. After that, Kirby is able to kick the frozen enemy forward into other enemies or obstacles. If the icy block isn't kicked shortly after it materializes, it automatically explodes. Rather than running, Kirby sometimes calmly ice-skates through the level, making it easier for him to kick his frostbitten foes along.
|Move||Controls||Description||Element||Damage 19960321||Damage 20111024|
|Freezer breath/Ice Breath||B/Y||Kirby fires an icy blast from his mouth. The blast freezes enemies & mid-bosses (with defeated) on contact and they can be kicked around after that.|
Ability Scroll is found. It can also be used to freeze water or momentarily harden hot lava.
Freeze, but does not cover areas above or below him.
|Ice||10 (1st hit), 9 - 10 (repeat hits)||18 (1st hit near), 15 (1st hit far, repeat hits near), 13 (repeat hits far)|
|Freezer blizzard/Ice Storm||Dash + B/Y/1 or B/Y/1 repeatedly||Kirby huddles down and encases himself in a freezing aura, easily freezing his enemies & mid-bosses (while defeated) and all the while making him practically invincible. This has the same properties as Freeze.||Ice||20 (all hits)||20 (1st hit), 17 (repeat hits)|
|Freezer sprinkle/Ice Sprinkle||B/Y/1 (Midair)||Kirby spins in midair and simultaneously breathes ice in the air, freezing airborne enemies & defeated mid-bosses.||Ice||18||22|
|Super Ice Sprinkle||Dash + B/Y/1 (Midair)||Kirby spins many times in midair while breathing ice. This attack can hit four times (||Ice||14 per hit||26 per hit|
|Freezer suction/Ice Suction / Freezer ejection/Ice Ejection||↑/forward + B/Y/1 (Near Enemy)||Kirby sucks up a nearby enemy, and then, by pressing either B or Y or 1, Kirby will spit the enemy back out, frozen solid.||Ice||70||62|
|Ice Kick||Run into Block||Kirby kicks in a forward direction. Kicked enemies & mid-bosses turn into a solid block of ice and can damage others in their way.||Ice||Untested||48 (kicked), 40 (stationary)|
|Dash + ↓ + 1/B||Kirby turns into a ball which rolls forward and explodes after a while.||Ice||N/A||38|
|Ice Block||R / A||Kirby hides in an ice cube. Depending on the game, it is either only aesthetic (||Ice||None||None|
|Ice Scatter||Release A||The ice cube that Kirby is hiding in explodes, dealing splash damage to nearby enemies.||Ice||N/A||16|
|Rick||B||Kirby and Rick become a large two part snowman and create a blizzard that acts exactly like the Freeze ability. In Kirby's Dream Land 3, it works similarly to when it appeared in Kirby's Dream Land 2, but it instead snows down snow from the top of the snowman.||Ice|
|Coo||B||Kirby breathes ice like normal but he can aim it in any direction. The duo lose altitude when the move is used. In the sequel, Coo just launches three angled icicles.||Ice|
|Kine||B||Kine surrounds himself in a blizzard like the ability Freeze, but he keeps moving. If the button is held down too long Kine freezes himself and can easily be attacked. In the sequel Kine freezes himself right away and acts like stone, dropping fast and becoming invincible.||Ice|
|Nago||B||Nago aims Kirby downward as they jet out a burst of cold breath and launch through the air.||Ice|
|ChuChu||B||ChuChu lobs multiple snowballs at different angles.||Ice|
|Pitch||B||Pitch is cranked up and releases an icy blast of breath that can be aimed.||Ice|
Super Smash Bros. series
In Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Ice Kirby appears as a trophy. In Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, Kirby uses Ice Breath as his second Standard Special Custom Move. Kirby stands in place and exhales ice from his mouth. Opponents who touch it will be frozen.
Ice Kirby appears in the anime. In Kirby Right Back at Ya!, he uses a slightly different hat design from the games with a six-pointed blue gem and small visor at the front. His skin turns blue, as it does in Kirby Super Star. He can breathe icy wind at his enemy to freeze him or her, and naturally it's not very useful against an ice-based foe, like Ice Dragon, unless it's an "inside" job, but can use the Freezer Suction/Ejection and Ice Kick on non-ice foes.
In the transformation sequence, a chill wind makes Kirby shiver and turn blue before his crown of ice crystals appears and Kirby wears a visor crown.
|Ice transformation English version|
|Ice transformation Japanese version|
|Kirby can freeze enemies with his cold breath! He can then throw them into others!|
|Turn Kirby into the ice man and turn the enemies into frozen blocks of ice. Don't slip!|
|First, I'll freeze 'em, then I'll kick 'em along! Brrrr!|
|Freeze foes with icy breath! Kick ice cubes into others! When you dash, you skate!|
|Frozen foe? Give it a kick! Glide gracefully across the land with an Ice Skate, and even cool down those hot, hot flames!|
|Freeze enemies with Ice Breath, and then send them packing with an Ice Kick! You can also glide gracefully along the ground with Ice Skate.|
|Freeze enemies with Ice Breath. You can also glide gracefully along the ground with Ice Skate.|
|“||Kirby when he copies an enemy with chilly abilities. Ice Kirby can blow an icy wind from his mouth and freeze enemies solid. These frozen enemies can then be knocked into other enemies as an additional means of attack. These blocks are not only effective against enemies but can also be used on terrain such as magma or water.”|
|— Trophy description • Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
- In Kirby's Adventure, Kirby will turn pale white and blue to signify this change. In later games without ability caps, he only changes color as he performs his special move.
- In the French version of Kirby's Adventure, the icons for Ice and Freeze are swapped.
- Despite Ice being the more extensive Copy Ability between Freeze and itself, Freeze made an appearance in the Kirby series before Ice.
- Along with Sword and Tornado, Ice is the fourth most commonly used copy ability in the anime (Kirby: Right Back At Ya!) , with five appearances.
- In Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, this ability still turned Kirby blue, even in multiplayer. This was removed in later games to prevent confusion, eliminating Kirby's color-changing feature. The artwork for Kirby & The Amazing Mirror was altered appropriately from this game.
- As of Kirby & The Amazing Mirror, Kirby won't slip on ice if he has this ability.
- Kirby & The Amazing Mirror is the first game to have Kirby stay pink instead of turning blue upon receiving Ice.
- Ice Kirby appears as a collectible trophy in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Ice Kirby's headband includes the six-pointed star or flake from the anime, which was not added to the games until Kirby's Return to Dream Land when the hat was given a slight redesign.
- Curiously, in Kirby Super Star Ultra, the round gem is blue instead of orange. Also, in Kirby's sprite for Kirby Super Star, Ice Kirby's crown shares the same look as Fire Kirby and Plasma Kirby, though with a different color scheme.
- In Kirby: Squeak Squad, Kirby's Ice Breath is able to freeze water into small ice cubes, allowing him to walk on it. The ice can be broken by his normal attacks or other Copy Abilities. Also, if Kirby hits water or enemies in Quick Fall mode, his crown will freeze them.