This is a list of Copy Abilities in the Super Smash Bros. series. When Kirby uses his inhale Special move on another Super Smash Bros. combatant, he can swallow him/her and copy his/her physical characteristics and Standard Special Move. Kirby can discard the ability by taunting. When Kirby inhales and swallows another Kirby, he will gain no Copy Ability and only damage will be dealt unless the Kirby being swallowed has a Copy Ability, in which case Kirby will steal it.
|Spoiler alert: The following section contains plot-specific details.(Skip Section)|
|Character||Attack Name||Controls||Physical Appearance||Description||Game Appearances||Abilities|
|Bowser||Fire Breath||B (Hold)
Control Stick Up/Down to adjust aim
|Bowser's horns and hair||Similar to the Fire Copy Ability, Kirby exhales flames at his enemies. The range of the fire shortens as the attack goes on.|
|Bowser Jr./Koopalings||Clown Cannon||B (hold to Charge)||Wears Bowser Jr's bandana as a headband. He also has Bowser Jr's eyebrows and little tuft of hair on his head.***||Kirby has a cannon come out of his mouth and fires a slow cannonball. It can be charged up to boost it's speed & power.|
|Captain Falcon||Falcon Punch/Reverse Falcon Punch (Super Smash Bros. Brawl onward)||B, opposite direction faced as move is about to be performed (Reverse Falcon Punch)||Captain Falcon's crash helmet||Kirby winds up and throws a fiery punch in the shape of a falcon. He also copies Captain Falcon's line, "Falcon Punch!" From Super Smash Bros. Brawl onward, he can execute the Reverse Falcon Punch when the player quickly taps the Control Stick/Circle Pad in the opposite direction.|
Control Stick Up/Down to adjust aim
|A hat with Charizard's horns and wings||Very similar to Bowser's Flame Breath, spews a stream of flames that weaken over time.|
|Dark Pit||Silver Bow||B (Fire horizontally), B + Up (fire upwards, and can somewhat control arrow's trajectory)||Dark Pit's gold laurel wreath and wings||Kirby fires a Dark arrow, similar to Pit's arrow. This arrow is more powerful than normal Pit's arrow, but it cannot curve.|
|Donkey Kong||Giant Punch||B x2 (once to charge the punch, again to punch), Control Stick to cancel the charge and roll.||A fur suit, similar to Donkey Kong's head||Kirby winds up and throws a very powerful punch.|
|Diddy Kong||Peanut Popgun||B (hold longer for a more powerful shot, holding too long causes the gun to backfire)||Diddy Kong's Nintendo cap||A wooden gun that fires peanuts, if the shells break, the peanuts can be eaten to restore health.|
|Dr. Mario||Megavitamin||B||Doctor Mario's headgear||Kirby throws a Mega Vitamin that bounces like Mario's fireball, but has a little more power and makes a distinct sound.|
|Duck Hunt (Duck Hunt Duo in Europe)||Trick Shooting||B||Kirby gets the Dog's ears and nose.||Kirby spawns a tin can. Pressing B once it's spawned will shoot the can, allowing it to bounce and increase its attack power. It will explode if an enemy touches it, after a small time or after pressing B several times. The can's explosion can also hurt Kirby if he happens to be nearby when an enemy touches it.|
|Falco Lombardi||Blaster||B||Falco's beak and crest||A more potent blaster than Fox's with decent stunning ability, it has lost some of its speed however. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Kirby holds the blaster sideways like Falco does.|
|Fox McCloud||Blaster||B||Fox's ears and headset||Kirby uses Fox's blaster which can fire multiple times quickly, but does not stop foes.|
|Ganondorf||Warlock Punch/Reverse Warlock Punch (Super Smash Bros. Brawl onward)||B, opposite direction faced as move is about to be preformed (Reverse Warlock Punch)||Ganondorf's hair and crest||A slow, but incredibly powerful punch backed up by dark magic. From Super Smash Bros. Brawl onward, he can execute the Reverse Warlock Punch when the player quickly taps the Control Stick/Circle Pad in the opposite direction.|
|Greninja||Water Shuriken||B (hold to charge)||Resembles Greninja's head||Kirby Charges up and throws a Ninja Star made of water. Unlike Mewtwo's Shadow Ball and Lucario's Aura Sphere, the charging animation does no damage. Kirby will automatically throw the shuriken once it is fully charged.|
|Ice Climbers||Ice Shot||B||Popo's parka, looks similar to the Freeze ability||Kirby launches a single block of ice with a hammer swing that slides into enemies.|
|Ike||Eruption||B (hold to charge, release to attack)||Ike's hair and headband||Charges up and thrusts his sword into the ground, creating an explosion, like Flare Blade, it will cause 10% damage to Kirby if charged for too long.|
|Ivysaur||Bullet Seed||B (hold)||A hat with Ivysaur's ears, leaves, and flower on it||Rapidly fires seeds straight up from the flower on his head, the leaves will also rotate.|
|Jigglypuff*||Pound||B||Jigglypuff's ears and hair||Smacks the enemy with a big punch, can also be used for lateral recovery.|
|Rollout (Move invented in Generation II after the release of Super Smash Bros.)||B (hold to charge, release to attack)||Jigglypuff's ears and hair||Spins to gain momentum, then rolls to tackle the enemy, can be used midair for lateral recovery.|
|King Dedede||Inhale, Spit Out||B (Hold), B/A to spit out enemy||King Dedede's hat||Kirby inhales an enemy and spits them out, more powerful than his normal inhale, but cannot be used to copy attacks. Can also be used to swallow items and projectiles.|
|Link*||Boomerang||B, Control Stick (move)||Link's hat||Throws a boomerang that goes away from, and then comes back to Kirby. This move is similar to Cutter.|
|Bow (Super Smash Bros. Melee)/Hero's Bow (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)||B (hold longer to fire further)||Link's hat||Uses Link's bow to fire an arrow, the bow was redesigned in Super Smash Bros. Brawl to suit Link's new The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess look and is slightly more powerful.|
|Little Mac||Straight Lunge||B (press B again while charging to attack)||Mac's hair and Attack Eyebrows.||Kirby blasts forward with a powerful punch. The attack has a small cool down time afterwards.|
|Lucario||Aura Sphere||B x2 (once to charge, again to fire), Control Stick to cancel move and roll||A hat with Lucario's ears and dreadlocks||Charges and fires a ball of aura. The sphere can cause damage while charging. The Aura Sphere will be bigger or smaller depending on how long the sphere is charged.|
|Lucas||PK Freeze||B (hold (optional)) Control Stick (move)||Lucas' hair||Creates a mental projectile that can freeze opponents. Kirby also imitates Lucas' voice.|
|Lucina||Shield Breaker||B (hold to charge, release to attack)||Lucina's Butterfly Mask||Charges up and attacks with the sword Falchion. Will break even a Perfect Shield when fully charged. Unlike Marth's version, it does not have a sweet spot.|
|Luigi||Fireball||B||Luigi's hat||Kirby throws a gravity defying green fireball horizontally. The fireball bounces in Super Smash Bros.|
|Mario||Fireball||B||Mario's hat||Kirby throws a red fireball that bounces and disappears.|
|Marth||Shield Breaker||B (hold to charge, release to attack)||Marth's hair and tiara||Charges up and attacks with the sword Falchion. Will break even a Perfect Shield when fully charged. Has a sweet spot at the tip of the sword.|
|Mega Man||Metal Blade||B (Circle Pad to aim)||Mega Man's Helmet||Kirby throws a saw blade that can be aimed in 8 directions using the Control Stick/Circle Pad. The saw blade can stick into walls and the floor afterwards, allowing other fighters to pick it up and use it.|
|Meta Knight||Mach Tornado||B (repeat to gain altitude)||Meta Knight's mask and wings||Using Galaxia, Kirby spins and creates a damaging tornado, and functions like the Tornado ability.|
|Mewtwo||Shadow Ball||B x2 (once to charge, again to fire), Control Sitck to cancel move and roll||Mewtwo's ears and tail||Charges and fires a ball of dark energy that flies in a zigzag pattern. The sphere can cause damage while charging.|
|Mii Brawler||Shot-Put||B||Kirby wears a basic white headband with the Mii's face on it.||Kirby throws an iron ball in front of him. It makes an impact, but doesn't travel far or bounce when thrown.|
|Mii Gunner||Charge Blast||B x2 (once to charge, again to fire), Control Stick to cancel the charge and roll.||Kirby wears a basic white headband with the Mii's face on it.||Similar to Samus' Charge Shot, Kirby charges up and fires a powerful blast of energy.|
|Mii Sword Fighter||Tornado Strike||B||Kirby wears a basic white headband with the Mii's face on it.||Kirby does a spinning slice with a sword that sends a damaging tornado along the ground.|
|Mr. Game & Watch||Chef||B||Black with a heavy gray outline||Throws sausages, chicken legs (Super Smash Bros. Brawl onward), and fish (Super Smash Bros. Brawl onward) from his frying pan. The frying pan causes fire damage by itself.|
|Ness*||PK Fire||B||Ness' cap worn backwards||Kirby throws a projectile that bursts into a pillar of flames upon hitting an enemy or item. Kirby also imitates Ness' voice.|
|PK Flash||B (hold (optional)), Control Stick (move)||Ness' cap worn backwards||Kirby fires a green ball of light straight up in the air that comes back down and deals heavy damage to nearby foes. Kirby also imitates Ness' voice.|
|Pikmin Pluck/Throw**||B||Olimar's antenna and nose***||Kirby plucks a Pikmin from the ground and hurls them at his foes, they die instantly after being thrown, due to Olimar/Alph's mechanics in the game.|
|PAC-MAN||Bonus Fruit||B (Hold to Cycle) then press B again to throw.||PAC-MAN's Eyebrows & nose.||Summons and throws one of PAC-MAN's Bonus Fruit/Items from his own game. Each Fruit/Item behaves differently when thrown and does different amount of Damage and Knockback.|
|Palutena||Autoreticule||B||Palutena's hair and halo||Kirby Pulls out a staff and shoots three energy blasts at an enemy directly in front of him. This move won't target anyone who dodges at the time the attack is fired.|
|Peach||Toad||B||Peach's crown||Kirby pulls out Toad to counter enemy attacks with spores.|
|Pichu||Thunder Jolt||B||A hat with Pichu's ears, face, and tail||Kirby fires a bouncing jolt of electricity and imitates Pichu's voice. It is less powerful than Pikachu's and also damages Kirby slightly.|
|Pikachu||Thunder Jolt||B||A hat with Pikachu's ears, face, and tail||Kirby fires a bouncing jolt of electricity and imitates Pikachu's voice.|
|Pit||Palutena's Bow||B (Fire horizontally), B + Up (fire upwards, and can somewhat control arrow's trajectory)||Pit's gold laurel wreath and wings||Kirby fires a celestial arrow, similar to Cupid.|
|R.O.B.||Robo Beam||B, Control Stick (trajectory)||R.O.B.'s "eyes" and diode, looks similar to the Laser ability||Kirby fires a strong laser that bounces off floors and ceilings, has a small recharge period. If left unused, the beam will become super charged.|
|Robin||Thunder||B (press again to attack when not fully charged)||Male Robin's white hair***||Kirby pulls out a tome and casts a Thunder Spell from the Fire Emblem games. Charging it allows Kirby to use Elthunder, Arcthunder and Thoron. Like with Robin him/herself, the tome has a limited number of uses, before it breaks. It takes about 10 seconds to generate a new one when it does.|
|Rosalina & Luma||Luma Shot||B (hold to Charge)||Rosalina's Crown||Kirby hits a Luma forward. This move can be charged to have the Luma launched further. Like with Olimar and the Pikmin, the Luma won't stay and help you and will disappear once the attack has been completed.|
|Roy||Flare Blade||B (hold to charge, release to attack)||Roy's hair and headdress||Charges up and delivers a powerful fiery strike with his sword. If the attack is charged for too long, the explosive blast will cause 10% damage to Kirby.|
|Samus||Charge Shot||B x2 (once to charge, again to fire), Control Stick to cancel the charge and roll.||Varia Suit helmet||Kirby charges up and fires a powerful blast of energy.|
|Sheik||Needle Storm||B (Hold)/B x2 (once to charge, once to fire), use the Control Stick to cancel the charge and roll.||Sheik's hair and head wrappings||Kirby throws a barrage of sharp projectiles.|
|Shulk||Monado Arts||B (press B to Cycle though each art)
Bx3 While Using an Art to cancel it.
|The Monado appears on Kirby's back||Activates one of five different Arts, each of which provides a different advantage in battle for a limited time. When used, each Art lasts a brief period and has a cooldown time before it can be used again.
To find out what each of the Monado Arts do, refer to this chart.
|Solid Snake||Hand Grenade||B (hold, release to throw)||Snake's headband and beard||Kirby pulls out a grenade that will explode after a set time, the bomb can blow up in Kirby's hand and damage him.|
|Sonic the Hedgehog||Homing Attack||B||Sonic's ears and spikes||Kirby spins, rises into the air and crashes into a nearby opponent. If no opponent is nearby it will propel Kirby forward a little (In Brawl, a Homing Attack that was used when no enemy was nearby could be aimed with the control stick).|
|Squirtle||Water Gun||B x2 (once to charge, again to fire)||Squirtle's shell and tail worn like a helmet||Kirby charges up and spits a jet of water that causes no damage, but can push foes away.|
|Toon Link||Hero's Bow||B (hold longer to shoot further)||Toon Link's hat||Kirby fires a bow. This bow is both more cartoonish in appearance and shoots at a higher trajectory then Link's.|
|Villager||B||Resembles default Villager's hair***||Kirby can pick up items and projectiles in front of him to use later. Press B again to take them out of your pockets and use them.|
|Wario||Chomp||B||Wario's biker helmet***||Kirby grabs an enemy in his mouth, chews on them and spits them out. He can also swallow items and projectiles.|
|Wii Fit Trainer||Sun Salutation||B x2 (once to charge, again to fire), Control Stick/Circle Pad to cancel the charge and roll.||Resembles Female Wii Fit Trainer's hair. Kirby also turns a Grey/White colour***||Kirby Charges and fires a blast of Solar Energy. It also heals Kirby slightly when fired if the move is fully charged.|
|Wolf O'Donnell||Blaster||B||Wolf's ears and eyepiece||Stronger than Falco's blaster with an even slower firing rate and limited range, the gun has a small claw that can cause additional damage at close range.|
|Yoshi||Egg Lay||B||A hat similar to Yoshi's head||Kirby swallows an enemy with his long tongue and turns them into an egg.|
|Young Link||Fire Bow||B (hold longer to fire further)||Young Link's hat||Kirby shoots a flaming arrow, similar to the Fire Arrow combo ability in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.|
|Zelda||Nayru's Love||B||Young Zelda's headdress from Ocarina of Time||Kirby is surrounded by magical energy that damages enemies and reflects projectiles.|
|Zero Suit Samus||Paralyzer||B (Hold to charge)||Samus' ponytail||Kirby fires a small handgun that damages and stuns enemies.|
If Kirby inhales a fighter with a Customized Standard Special move in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U, Kirby will only recieve the move mentioned in the table above, and not the Customized move. This is most noticeable/easily tested with the Mii Fighters and Palutena as all their Customizable Special Moves are unlocked from the start.*Move changed between games
**Due to how Olimar's moves work, his ability is a combination of his side and neutral special moves
***The hat Kirby gets is the same regardless of form/gender that character is.
|End of spoilers|
- In Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, when performing Jigglypuff's Rollout, he will always exclaim "Purin!" (Jigglypuff's Japanese name) no matter which language the game is set to.
- Although Kirby inhales and swallows an adult Zelda, the hat given to him upon doing so is taken from Zelda's younger incarnation from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
- Since Kirby and King Dedede have roughly the same neutral B move (with one major difference), copying Dedede will effectively disable Kirby's ability to copy others (since Dedede's attack counts as a Copy Ability in itself), meaning the only thing Kirby can do with an inhaled enemy is spit him/her out as a star (which was Kirby's primary method of attack in the original Kirby's Dream Land).
- Various abilities makes him look like he has his in-game abilities. The most obvious ones are Link's cap for Sword and the Ice Climbers' parka for Freeze.
- Some abilities, like Bowser's, have abilities similar to moves in the game, and sometimes does poses for them, too. Bowser's Fire Breath is like Kirby's Fire ability.
- When Kirby copies Ness and uses his PK Flash, he specifically (and clearly) says PK Flash, rather than copying Ness' accent. This is somewhat ironic, as they both share the same voice actress.
- Kirby wears Ness's cap backwards as if he had the Yo-Yo, Paint, or Wheel abilities (while Ness wears his baseball cap to the side) Ness himself uses a yo-yo as a weapon.
- When Kirby copies Snake and throws a Grenade, he will wince and cover his "ears" if the grenade is thrown back at him, just like Snake does.
- Unlike Mr. Game & Watch, when Kirby inhales him and uses his Chef ability, both he, and the pan he uses are in 3-D, compared to the 2D version that Mr. Game & Watch has. Kirby's pan also looks different than Mr. Game & Watch's for some reason.
- In Brawl, the ability that Kirby has normally doesn't appear when he uses his final smash, but some abilities that the Cook Hat doesn't cover up can still be seen (i.e. R.O.B. Visor, Mr. G&W ability, Snake's Beard, etc.).
- When Kirby Inhales Lucario, Kirby's Aura Sphere does not change according to his damage like Lucario's does. It stays at a fixed value of what it would be at 75% on Lucario.
- Although Wario has two costumes in Super Smash Bros. Brawl (biker and plumber) inhaling either of them will give Kirby the biker helmet.
- This is also true with the Koopalings (variants of Bowser Jr.), the Villager variants (Kirby will always end up with the hairstyle of the default Villager), the Wii Fit Trainer (Kirby will always look like the Female trainer) and Robin (Will always take Male Robin's Hairstyle) in Smash 3DS and Wii U
- Unlike the main Kirby games, if a power is lost in Super Smash Bros., it cannot be recovered by inhaling a star Kirby drops. Instead, Kirby must inhale the foe again to copy the power.
- When Kirby inhales Samus and uses the charge shot, he shoots with his hand instead of an arm cannon. This is likely a reference to how Kirby used Copy Abilites, such as Beam and Laser, in earlier games using his hand rather than a wand/visor.
- Some things change in size to better fit Kirby when he uses his Copy Ability. An example is Pit's wings -- since he is bigger than Kirby, the wings shrink. However, some things remain roughly the same -- Mario and Luigi's hats are about the same size when used by Kirby. Some things shrink for no reason; for example, when using Meta Knight's Mach Tornado, he gets Meta Knight's mask and wings, but the wings are smaller (while the mask remains the same size) even though Meta Knight and Kirby are roughly the same size.
- When Kirby inhales Lucina, he dons the mask that Lucina uses to hide her identity in Fire Emblem Awakening. This is unusual because Lucina does not actively wear the mask in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U.
- She does, however, brandish it when using her Down Taunt.
- Super Smash Bros.
- Super Smash Bros. Melee
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U