Kirby Super Star Ultra sprite
|Copy Ability||Bomb (from cannonballs (Kirby Super Star Ultra) and bombs)|
Yo-yo (from cannonballs (Kirby Super Star)
It is a cannon located on the topside of the Halberd, usually near the front (although in Kirby: Squeak Squad, it is on the second-highest level of the ship).
While Combo Cannon is its most common and consistent moniker, this weapon has gone by several names:
- It is named "Combo Cannon" in The Arena of the original Kirby Super Star, as well as trophies in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.
- It is also called the "twin cannon" by Captain Vul and Axe Knight in the English version of Kirby Super Star, before its own boss fight in Revenge of Meta Knight.
- In Kirby Super Star Ultra, it is instead known as "Main Cannon #2" in both the rewritten script and boss title.
- It is called the "Gravity Disruptor" in the English dub of the anime.
- It goes by 「2連主砲」 in Japanese, which is closer to "Twin/Double Main Gun" in meaning, although it's still rendered as Combo Cannon.
It is an elaborate double-barreled gun turret that fires cannonballs from its main (upper) barrel and lasers from its smaller (lower) barrel. In Kirby Super Star, Kirby can stand under the main barrel and attack without taking damage, but in Kirby Super Star Ultra, the protrusion from the barrel damages him, making this boss slightly harder to defeat. This smaller barrel can be destroyed separately from the main assembly to keep it from shooting any more lasers. It has a mechanical arm that will try to grab and throw Kirby, drop bombs on him, or try to hold him in front of the firing laser. Every other time it prepares to fire its laser, a platform will rise under Kirby to try to move him into the way of the blast, although this was changed to a low-health reaction in Kirby Super Star Ultra. When it was first destroyed, it exploded and shattered pieces of bent metal went everywhere, with a force strong enough to destroy most of the top of the Halberd.
The cannon has been turned into yarn along with the rest of the Halberd, and Kirby fights it now with the Starship. The cannon's arm is not present, and thus it no longer tries to grab Kirby or drop bombs on him. The top cannon shoots three large cannonballs in succession; the bottom cannon still fires the laser beam, which is now a lot wider than the ones of Kirby Super Star (Ultra). It is now made up of several strands of yarn. UFOs periodically enter the fray and fire lasers at Kirby.
The top part of Combo Cannon appears as an item in Kirby Fighters Deluxe, referred to as "Team Cannon." It can fire lasers of various sizes. If only one player is holding it, it will continuously shoot little electric shots. In 2 vs 2, it fires its classic blue laser. In 1 vs 3, it fires a more powerful yellow and purple laser. The music that plays is the same as that of the Super Abilities from Kirby's Return to Dream Land.
Spoiler alert: Plot-specific details are within this box
|Combo Cannon returns along with Halberd. After the Halberd is scanned by the Robobot Armor, it transforms into Halberd mode and Combo Cannon is the sole weapon to be used in this mode.|
|End of spoilers|
In the Super Smash Bros. series
Combo Cannon appears as a stage hazard on the Halberd stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, as well as a trophy. It can shoots slow falling shells that cause devastating explosions but are easy to dodge, targets players using the laser cannon and the claw.
|“||The main gun of the battleship Halberd. As the name references, it has two guns-the top one shoots out slow-moving shells, and the bottom one fires a powerful laser. There's a mechanical arm at the base that is used to grab enemies and hold them to be blasted by the laser cannon. It has a wide attack range and once shot down Dyna Blade after she aided Kirby.”|
|— Trophy description • Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|“||This giant cannon is the main weapon of the Battleship Halberd. Any invader will think twice when cannonballs and laser beams are brought to bear. You'll have to be really careful around these weapons, since even the platforms underfoot will try to lift you into the path of the beam. Watch out!”|
|— Trophy description • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS|
- While the Meta Knight symbol was updated for Kirby Super Star Ultra, the original insignia that was on the side of the cannon in the SNES game is on Meta Knight's left pauldron in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Kirby's Return to Dream Land.
- The part of Combo Cannon in Kirby Fighters Deluxe is the top cannon, which cannot fire lasers in other games. The bottom cannon, the one that does fire lasers, is not attached to the item.