Kirby Super Star Ultra artwork
|Copy ability||Ice, Cutter (from his projectiles)|
|“||I got the sun and moon to fight. I got you to go into space... it was all according to my perfect little plan!”|
|— Marx • Kirby Super Star Ultra|
Marx is the main antagonist as well as the final boss of Milky Way Wishes in Kirby Super Star and its remake, Kirby Super Star Ultra. He originally appears as a small jester, somewhat resembling Mirror Kirby, balancing on a multicolored ball, and he asks Kirby to help him end a quarrel between the Sun and Moon. Kirby listens to his plea and does as he says, unaware of Marx's ulterior motives. Marx then turns up just in time to send the final part of his devious plan into motion, and reveals that he was using Kirby all along to gain power.
Upon gaining power, Marx becomes a strong, bat-like entity with flashing, multicolored "scales" on his recently-acquired wings, and endless power. When Marx is defeated by Kirby, he flies out of control and crashes into Nova, causing the great machine to blow up. Despite being seemingly really destroyed in his first appearance, he manages to make infrequent cameos later in the series.
In his first form, Marx appears to be a small jester with no legs, arms and hands. He wears brown shoes with small light brown dashes going across them that look like shoelaces. His skin is a light purple/pink color with two big expressive eyes that lie under his hat. His hat is divided into two colors with different shapes on each side. Marx has red with white triangles on the right side and blue with white circles on the left. Marx wears a red bow tie under his small smiling mouth. His beach ball is striped with the colors of his hat: red, white, and blue.
After Marx makes his wish to take control of Popstar, he transforms himself into a fearsome bat-like monstrosity with golden yellow-colored wings with two sharp fang-like claws jutting out from each one. The wings also have flashing mirror-like, multicolored, hexagon-shaped scales under them. Each wing has a red heart on it. His skin retains that purple hue but his eyes are demented looking with big black pupils that face the outer corners. His mouth (which has gotten bigger during his transformation) now has two small fangs in it. Marx's bow tie is noticeably larger, but it appears to be coming undone. Lastly, his shoe color remains the same, but the shoes themselves are longer and are rounded at the ends.
Marx makes his first appearance in the sub-game Milky Way Wishes in the game Kirby Super Star. When the sun and moon of Planet Popstar start fighting each other and knocking each other out of the skies, a small jester-like being who goes by the name of Marx tells Kirby that the only way to stop the fight between the two is to gather the power of the surrounding stars and use them to summon Nova, a planet-sized, mechanical "comet" that can grant wishes. Marx also wishes Kirby good luck just before starting his hunt for Nova.
After gathering this power from the Fountains of seven nearby planets and summoning Nova, Kirby goes on to make his wish to save Popstar. Just then, however, Marx knocks Kirby off-screen and makes his own selfish wish -- complete control of Popstar. When this happens, he transforms into his monster form and gains new superpowers. It turns out that he actually tricked the Sun and Moon to fight each other, and tricked Kirby into doing his dirty work for him, and this was all part of a master plan to conquer Popstar. Afterwards, Nova begins looming towards Popstar, leaving Kirby alone in space. The power Kirby had gathered comes together, however, and creates a Starship for him to stop Nova with. Nova's journey to Popstar is suddenly hampered by the sun and moon, giving Kirby the chance to enter him. After Kirby destroys his heart, Nova is injured, making Marx extremely irate, so he then attempts to attack Kirby himself. In spite of Marx's fearsome and deadly new superpowers, Kirby manages to win, and send Marx flying away and into what remains of Nova, seemingly destroying them both in a massive explosion.
Marx's role in the Nintendo DS remake, Kirby Super Star Ultra, is essentially the same as the original game, but there is a slight twist concerning his fate. A clip shown at the end of The True Arena reveals that he was killed after the events of Milky Way Wishes, but his corpse had began to absorb dark energy and Nova's power, not only reviving him but also transforming him into the even stronger Marx Soul and granting him even more power than ever before (Nova, on the other hand, was revived by Meta Knight in the Meta Knightmare Ultra's storyline). After a series of battles against Kirby's toughest enemies, Marx Soul appears in a distorted dimension as the final foe. Denied his revenge and overthrown once more, Marx Soul lets out an ear-peircing and bloodcurdling scream as he slowly splits in half, turning a deep shade of purple, and blowing up the whole arena in the process.
The normal Marx appears in part of the Special-Edition Blooper Reel in Kirby Super Star Ultra. Marx is seen in one of the last clips when he is trying to tell Kirby how to stop the Sun and Moon from fighting, but slips off of his ball and falls on the ground before he even gets a chance to talk. He also appears in the movie when Kirby gets a full 100% in a file, having a front row seat in the audience for Kirby's performance. Strangely, despite his harsh feelings towards him seen in the past sub-games, and the fact that he was defeated three times by him in this version (once in Milky Way Wishes, again in The Arena, and for the last time in The True Arena), he cheers for Kirby after he does his Victory dance.
Marx makes a surprise appearance as the final boss of Kirby Brawlball, on a board resembling that of the moon's landscape. He is much larger than he originally appeared, and used revamped versions of his original attacks. Illusions of his normal form also occasionally litter the ground, riding their balls -- bouncing on their head results in two additional Kirbys getting released.
Marx makes several cameo appearances:
- A statue of him next to Magolor appears as one of Stone Kirby's transformations.
- Marx appears as one of the rare keychains, along with his soul form.
- Marx appears in the "Kirby Master!" cutscene, sitting next to Magolor and Galacta Knight.
Marx's attacks are generally very predictable but very powerful. Marx has five attacks that follow a simple, but very distinct, pattern. He starts out by shooting out four crescent blades at Kirby as soon as he appears. Marx can teleport off-screen and appear in another spot, usually when he wants to use a sneak attack against Kirby. He then flies up, going off the screen, and drops four small seeds that grow into four large, thorny vines that appear in the same spots the seeds fell in. After the vines grow and disappear, an electrified shadow appears and begins to follow Kirby around the floor. After a few seconds, Marx springs up from the ground and flies into the air, but comes back down. He then teleports to the side of the screen, glowing blue at this time, and shoots out a stream of arrows at Kirby. Marx flies off and then reappears above Kirby and soon his cheeks puff out. He then spits out a black ball at the ground, which turns into two ice balls that slide across the screen according to Kirby's height level. Finally, Marx's face expands, he glows, then belches out a giant white beam. This pattern starts again, but after taking enough damage, his attack patterns will become more random and unpredictable. He can now split himself in two symmetrical halves, revealing his iconic attack - the black hole. Kirby will take extremely heavy damage if he falls into this hole. However, this is his slowest and most predictable attack, although it has a considerable range and guarding does not protect the player from it either. An interesting fact about the battle is that, in the remake, after Marx has taken sufficient damage, the screen will occasionally start changing between blue, green, and red, possibly an effect of him straining his powers to the max in an effort to finish Kirby off for good.
- Despite Marx's Japanese name translating closer to "Mark", the Japanese version of The Arena and Kirby Mass Attack renders it Marx.
- Marx wears a hat near identical to the hat worn by Mirror Kirby, which also debuted in Kirby Super Star. The two colors on the hat are reversed on Marx's hat and the blue part on Mirror Kirby's hat is more of a teal color. This coincides with the colorful mirror-like panels that stream down Marx's wings, or him splitting in half like Mirror Kirby to perform the Black Hole move.
- Marx's laugh was changed in the remake; it was a warped sound effect in the original, but he was given a demented high-pitched laughter in the remake. In Kirby Mass Attack, his laugh is similar to the remake, but the actual board design is closer to the original version.
- A remix of the theme that plays during the battle against Marx appears as a track in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- A portrait of Marx alongside some other final bosses is shown in Kirby: Squeak Squad in one of the collectible pieces of artwork obtainable from treasure chests.
- A split second before Marx is powered up by Nova, he looks similar to Marx Soul. This is true even in the original SNES game.
- In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, one of the objects Stone Kirby can transform into is Marx in his normal form on his beach ball. In addition, Marx makes a very quick cameo in the final unlockable "Kirby Master" video, similar to Kirby Super Star Ultra. This is also the case with Kirby: Triple Deluxe.
- It is also possible that Marx had a hand behind the scenes. After 120 Energy Spheres are collected in the Extra Mode, Magolor tells Kirby that he knows someone who knew Kirby quite well, and implies that this person may have been a former enemy. Magolor also mentions that the ancients of Halcandra who crafted the Lor Starcutter also was "the same power that gave rise to clockwork stars that soar the cosmos," and "mysterious items that can bring dreams to life." These signs most strongly point to Marx, as these are prominent elements of Milky Way Wishes. It's also theorized to be Galacta Knight, but that character has interacted more with Meta Knight than Kirby in the Nintendo DS remake, plus he is more of an opponent than a true enemy.
- Coincidentally, both were villains who deceived Kirby, and their use of elemental attacks is similar. The black hole attacks used by both villains have the same visual effect: if Kirby is sucked in, he is transported briefly to an alternate dimension where he takes severe damage, they both shoot out giant beams that cause heavy damage, they both teleport themselves all over the place and launch projectiles at Kirby.
- In Kirby Super Star, Marx has pointed arrows at the tips of each wing. In Kirby Super Star Ultra, the tips are more rounded like hearts.
- Strangely, the surface of the arena that Kirby fights Marx and Marx Soul on appears to scroll rapidly from the right, even though Kirby may appear to be standing completely still. This is the same effect as seen in Nightmare's battle in Kirby's Adventure.
- Marx bears a somewhat minor resemblance to Noddy.
- In Kirby Fighters Deluxe, Marx's hat is used for Beam's alternate costume.
|“||Hey, hey, hey. Can you make peace between the Sun and Moon?”|
|— Marx to Kirby • Kirby Super Star / Kirby Super Star Ultra|
|“||You need to ask the giant comet Nova for help!”|
|— Marx to Kirby • Kirby Super Star/Ultra|
|“||But first, there's something we must do. To ask Nova, we must gather power from all the stars around us. It will be difficult, Kirby, but you can do it! We are counting on you. Good luck!”|
|— Marx to Kirby • Kirby Super Star/Ultra|
|“||Well, I want to control Pop Star!”|
|— Marx to Nova • Kirby Super Star/Ultra|
|“||I did it! It all went according to plan!”|
|— Marx • Kirby Super Star Ultra|
|“||Now I can cause all the mischief I want! Haha! See you later!”|
|— Marx to Kirby • Kirby Super Star Ultra|
|“||Marx has shown his true form! Fly in and protect Pop Star! Do it, Kirby, our Super Star!”|
|— Marx's pause screen description • Kirby Super Star Ultra|