Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards artwork
|Enemy Info card number||#3|
|“||Made up of three colored diamonds, Pix is the final boss of Rock Star. Each diamond has its own power.”|
|— Description • Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards Official Strategy Guide (Prima)|
Pix is the boss of Rock Star in Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards. It is composed of three separate beings. All three crystal-like beings must be defeated in order to be victorious. They appear one by one and seemingly out of thin air during a rather chaotic elevator ride in Rock Star. The fight between Pix and Kirby occurs in the skies of Rock Star.
They are seemingly affiliated with Dark Matter, seeing as how they inhabit, and to some point even resemble, the spaceship that was seemingly created by him.
Pix is made up of three octahedral crystals: One is red, one is green, and the last one is blue. After one of its three crystals is defeated, it shatters and only an outline of it remains, making it transparent.
Kirby reaches the boss when he enters the spaceship in Rock Star. Kirby starts out on an elevator-like structure and one by one the crystals reveal themselves as the structure ascends. The elevator is constantly going up, and about a little more than halfway through the ride all three crystals have appeared. Each of the three crystals project laser beam blades and cut across the circular platform. The crystals are constantly slicing through the arena, so by the time all three are active Kirby must be constantly jumping to avoid them all. Upon reaching the top of Rock Star, the real battle begins and the trio begins to fight in tandem. Pix begins by spinning around the arena and transforming into swords that try to cut Kirby. Throughout the battle different colored atoms pop up around the arena. These are for Kirby to inhale and spit back at the crystals. Each of the crystals are only sufficiently damaged by their respective colored atoms, such as the green crystal only taking adequate damage from the green colored atoms and so on. Each crystal is destroyed after two hits with the correctly colored projectiles and four with the incorrectly colored ones. When all the crystals break, their remnants meet in the center of the arena, spin around, merge, and explode.
Pix's name and design seem to be derived from the word "pixel" (short for "picture element"), which is the smallest piece of information of an image in digital imaging.
- To date, Pix is the only boss in the entire series to be comprised of three separate beings.
- Also, out of the bosses stated above, the Master Hand & Crazy Hand tag team and Pix are the only bosses that aren't machines.
- Before reaching Pix's spaceship, it is seen sitting in the ground and looks like a pyramid. This may be a reference to the pyramid in Stage 6 of Sand Canyon in Kirby's Dream Land 3. They share the same color and bizarre interior.
- The boss Holo Defense API in Kirby: Planet Robobot bears a strong resemblance to Pix, although it is composed of four crystals rather than three.
- The description for Holo Defense API 2.0 implies that the defense system was created using the blueprints found on another planet. Presumably the Holo Defense API may have been designed after Pix.