|“||The game takes you on an extended journey across the islands of Dream Land, each with its own unique features and dangers.”|
|— Description • Nintendo Power (Volume #72)|
- Grass Land - A grassy area featuring many small grasslands. Whispy Woods serves as the boss here.
- Big Forest - A complex forest area that proves to be quite hard to navigate through. Nruff and Nelly serve as the boss here.
- Ripple Field - One of Dream Land's deepest and largest lakes. Sweet Stuff serves as the boss here.
- Iceberg - Located at the highest reaches of Dream Land, Iceberg is always covered in ice. Ice Dragon serves as the boss here.
- Red Canyon - A craggy canyon area. Mr. Shine & Mr. Bright serve as the boss here.
- Cloudy Park - A peaceful yet cloudy area in the skies of Dream Land. Kracko serves as the boss here.
- Dark Castle - A very mysterious and eerie palace. King Dedede and Dark Matter serve as bosses here.
- The Rainbow Islands make a cameo appearance in Kirby: Planet Robobot. On the title screen, some of the islands (most notably Big Forest) can be made out on Planet Popstar's surface.
- They also make another appearance in Kirby Battle Royale below a Smash Hockey stage of Bubbly Clouds.
- Rainbow Islands is the title of a platform action video game released by Taito in 1987, as a spin-off of the Bubble Bobble series. It has received sequels of its own.