A research facility is a towering, fortified laboratory. To aid the Mechanizing Occupation Project, the Haltmann Works Company constructs five of this building, placing one in each of Planet Popstar's five points. These complexes enable the company to learn more about the planet's life, history, and resources. They also serve as a foundation for the development of weaponry and technology, headed by Labotory employees.
Each research facility is visited twice--once toward the middle of each of the five levels and again in the levels' extra stages. Kirby enters a research facility by walking up a spiral ramp positioned on the outside of the building. Each facility contains a memory puzzle somewhere within it. Success at the puzzle results in Kirby obtaining a Code Cube from a Treasure Chest, whereas failure leads to a room with a fake chest and enemies (usually Propellers). Robobot Armor can be found in every facility.
This facility, located in Stage 4, sports a green color scheme with tanks of green goo set up in various locations. Security Lasers and Labotories serve as frequent enemies, but Kirby can bypass many of them by climbing along grates. The Invincibility Candy available here allows Kirby to defeat King Doo with little effort.
By floating under a platform and pressing ↑, Kirby can enter a secret area and obtain the Smash Bros. ability. This method of finding the area may be a reference to the hidden room in Vegetable Valley from Kirby's Adventure and its remake.
To complete the memory puzzle when he reaches it, Kirby must take, in order, the top path, the bottom path, and the top path.
When Kirby returns to the facility in Stage 6, he uses his Robobot Armor raise a platform. When he leaves his armor behind, he must climb along grates to avoid Security Lasers and Gordos.
This facility, located in Stage 3, sports a red color scheme with tanks of blue goo set up in various locations. Labotories, Gabons, Electro Spheres, and cyborg Scarfies serve as frequent enemies. Kirby is encouraged to use the Wheel ability to drive past obstacles such as Security Lasers. The hero battles Miasmoros here--he can obtain the Poison ability for the first time after it is defeated.
To complete the memory puzzle when he reaches it, Kirby must take, in order, the heart path, the star path, and the diamond path.
When Kirby returns to the facility in Stages 5 and 6. In the former, he enters a door leading to Holo Defense API. In the latter, he uses his Robobot Armor to fire out of a cannon and smash Durable Blocks. When he leaves his armor behind, he must travel through a perilous corridor filled with Electro Spheres, other enemies, and spikes.
This facility, located in Stage 3, sports a blue color scheme with tanks of blue goo set up in various locations. Covered Lookers and aquatic enemies--Squishy, Walf, Mamanti, and especially Glunk and Craby--serve as frequent obstacles. Most rooms scroll right in the foreground and left in the background. Kirby must take advantage of this to hit switches and open gates.
To complete the memory puzzle when he reaches it, Kirby must take the first 3D Warp Star, pass the second one, and take the third one.
When Kirby returns to the facility in Stage 7, he fires through corridors using gyro-controlled cannons.
This facility, located in Stage 4, sports a yellow color scheme with tanks of cyan goo set up in various locations. Kirby's Robobot Armor obtains the Jet Mode and flies through an auto-scrolling stage. Aerial enemies--flying Walker Waddle Dees, cyborg Bronto Burts, Propellers, Big Propellers, and Security Lasers--serve as frequent threats. The hero battles C.O.G.S. and Core Kabula here.
To complete the memory puzzle when he reaches it, Kirby must take, in order, the bottom path, the middle path, the top path, and the middle path.
This facility, located in Stage 3, sports a purple color scheme with tanks of orange goo set up in various locations. Degouts, Labotories, and Covered Lookers serve as frequent enemies. Kirby must avoid Skull Panels that emerge from the background. The hero must battle King Doo and can choose to battle Dubior here as well.
To complete the memory puzzle when he reaches it, Kirby must take, in order, the leftmost door, the top-right door, and the center door (created by hitting a switch).
When Kirby returns to the facility in Stage 7, he travels through opening and closing gates. He then obtains Robobot Armor. Using the Stone and Spark Modes, Kirby can defeat enemies, smash Durable Blocks, and solve a wire-based puzzle to get a Code Cube.
Between matches in The Arena and The True Arena, Kirby visits an unidentified research facility. Here he can collect stickers, take an occasional Assist Star, and use a roulette Copy Essence before reentering the facility to challenge the next boss. In The Arena, every stop at the facility's exterior takes Kirby higher into the sky.
- The color schemes of the facilities match the color schemes of their respective levels.
- According to Core Kabula's pause description, it is the primary power core of the research facility in Gigabyte Grounds.
- At the beginning of Stage 4 of Gigabyte Grounds, Kirby tilts a platform with a face engraved in it. This is inspired by the face motif used throughout Kirby: Triple Deluxe.
- Four of the five research facilities play remixes of existing Kirby series music throughout them. In extra stages, all of them reuse music from past games, primarily Kirby: Canvas Curse.
- In Stage 4, the Patched Plains facility plays the theme from Stage 6 of Sand Canyon from Kirby's Dream Land 3. In Stage 6, it plays Rainbow Run's theme from Kirby: Canvas Curse and a theme from Kirby's Dream Course.
- In Stage 3, the Resolution Road facility plays "Sky Tower" from Kirby's Return to Dream Land. In Stage 6, it plays Ghost Grounds' theme from Kirby: Canvas Curse.
- In Stage 3, the Overload Ocean facility plays Float Islands' theme from Kirby's Dream Land. In Stage 7, it plays Neo Greo's theme from Kirby: Canvas Curse.
- In Stage 7, the Gigabyte Grounds facility plays Paint Panic's theme from Kirby: Canvas Curse.
- In Stage 3, the Rhythm Route facility plays Dark Castle's theme from Kirby's Dream Land 2. In Stage 7, it plays Cart Run's theme from Kirby: Canvas Curse and the theme from Stage 6 of Sand Canyon from Kirby's Dream Land 3.
- ↑ The flying internal weapon has been revealed. Who would've thought that the Kabula was acting as the power core for the research facility? Take out this flying security machine! - Vs. Core Kabula
- ↑ "Kirby: Planet Robobot Drawing and Screenshot Challenge"