Kirby: Triple Deluxe artwork
|Properties||Opens pathways to levels and EX stages|
|“||The power of the sun lies within! Find as many as you can, and open up the pathway to the boss!”|
|— Description • Kirby: Triple Deluxe|
Sun Stones are golden, flower-shaped collectibles in Kirby: Triple Deluxe. Collecting a specified number of them unlocks the boss doors for each of the game's levels, and finding every Sun Stone in a level opens a path to that level's secret EX stage.
A Grand Sun Stone is also collected upon defeating a boss, which causes the Dreamstalk to grow, opening a path to the next level. In Kirby: Triple Deluxe, there are 100 Sun Stones and 5 Grand Sun Stones to collect. Collecting every Sun Stone will earn the player the Queen Sectonia keychain.
Sun Stones appear to be a blue jewel surrounded by golden petals, giving it the appearance of a sunflower.
Grand Sun Stones are much larger than standard Sun Stones, having a thick blue outline and larger golden jewels, giving it an appearance closer to that of an 8-pointed star or compass rose.
One to four Sun Stones can be found in each stage in the game. Some can be found out in the open, while others are hidden away in chests or secret rooms. On many occasions, puzzles must be solved to obtain them.
The origins and exact purpose of the Sun Stones is unknown, but it is known that they have some role in supporting the growth of the Dreamstalk. A possible explanation for this is that Grand Sun Stones clear away thick clouds surrounding the Dreamstalk, allowing more sunlight to reach the massive vine.
- Inhale the tree with Hypernova. A Sun Stone will appear shortly afterward.
- Pull the Slide Blocks with Hypernova. The first one will crush some Durable Blocks and the second one can be moved close to the Sun Stone. Get on top of the second Slide Block and inhale the Slide Block containing the Sun Stone. It will shatter upon hitting the ground, releasing the Sun Stone.
- Destroy one of the Terrain Blocks in the background to gain access to a Treasure Chest.
- In the Cannon room, use the left branching path.
- In room with Shotzos, enter optional room. Use the Tilt Bowl to cause the flowers to bloom. The left flower releases a Key, the right flower releases a red Star and serves as a platform.
- Use the triple 3D Tilt Missile to destroy the Durable Blocks in the background. The lowest one needs to be destroyed to get the Sun Stone.
- In the room with the boulders, enter the optional door. Light the fuse and move the block to keep the spark going until it reaches the Cannon
- Inhale the fourth Pipe Worm to access optional room. Inhale both Slide Blocks in order to pull back wrecking ball. Pull back wrecking ball all the way to obliterate the wall. Below is a Treasure Chest.
- Move the Slide Block to the center of the room to pull away the curtain. The Sun Stone is in the background.
- In the second room, use Beetle to cut grass to find a Key. Use it on the locked door in the background.
- In the area with the Invincible Candy, destroy the Bomb Block blocking access to a 3D Warpstar.
- Use the Tilt Gondola to bring the Key to the locked door.
- Defeat Flowery Woods.
- In Treasure Chest after defeating Blocky DX.
- Destroy the Terrain Block in the second room.
- Use Wheel to pass through first Gordo to enter optional room. Hit the switch and make it past the gate before it closes.
- In the second room with a Lollipop Tank, destroy a Bomb Block to get rid of the ground beneath the tank. This will prevent it from destroying the Durable Blocks in the background which are holding up a Treasure Chest containing the Sun Stone.
- Use Spear to cut rope to gain access to optional room. Move the 8-ton weight so that it's above the Durable Blocks. Cut the rope.
- In the underwater room, destroy the Bomb Block on the ceiling, uncovering a Sun Stone in the background. Destroy the Bomb Block on the floor, uncovering a 3D Warpstar. Go to the background and retrieve the Sun Stone.
- Move the Furnace Bot under the ice that contains a door. After the ice has melted, move the Furnace Bot into a safe position to allow access to the optional room. Move the truck on the top right so that it crushes the Durable Blocks below. Move the second truck over to the right so that Kirby can move to the left. Move the truck back to the left until is destroys the Durable Blocks below it.
- Pull the banner featuring the Green Greens from Kirby's Dream Land all the way, revealing a couple of Poppy Bros. Jr.'s, a Poppy Bros. Sr., Whispy Woods, and the Sun Stone.
- Destroy the Durable Blocks in the background using the 3D Helmet Cannon.
- Use the second set of Timed Dynamite on the Durable Blocks in the background.
- Grab the Key before the third wall crushes it. Bring the key to a locked door, allowing access to a lower, alternate pathway. The next room has the Sun Stone.
- Race the Key Dee. Take the 3D Warpstar to the background to take his Key, then return to the foreground to unlock the door.
- After the room with fake doors, note that, in the background, the Sun Stone is to the left with a two-way door, the middle has a normal door, and the right is nearly a mirror image of the left, but without a two-way door or the Sun Stone, instead a ladder and a door above it. The 3D Warpstar takes Kirby to the middle section. In the next room go to the left. The circus tapestry that acts as a mirror to the door to the right also functions as a door, leading to the earlier-seen Sun Stone.
- Enter the optional room below the fake optional door. This is done by using the Truth Mirror to find a soft platform after passing Chip. Going below it will lead to the pathway to the optional room. In the optional room, use the Truth Mirror to avoid Gordos and pits.
- Defeat Paintra.
- After the room with the cannons, fall off the ledge to the left. There is a Bomb Block that, when destroyed, uncovers a 3D Warpstar. After going to the background, destroy the Terrain Block after the Gigatzo, revealing an optional door. In the optional room, upon entering the second cannon, move it to the right before firing.
- Use Hypernova to inhale the Waddle Dee Train with the Treasure Chest on it. It will drop the chest.
- Use the Mandola Root after the Waddle Dee Trains to destroy the Durable Blocks to its left and right. The left Durable Block has a locked door to an optional room, the right Durable Block has the Key. In the optional room, pull out the Mandola Root twice in order to destroy the Durable Blocks in the wall and on the ground behind the wall respectively.
- In the room with the Tilt Gondolas, take the Key to the locked door. Make sure the jump out at the end.
- In the room with the Dekabus, take the right path, as it leads to an optional room obscured by the aforementioned Dekabus. In the optional room, take the Key to the locked door. Make sure to leave enough Collapse Blocks for the way back.
- Do not destroy the fifth pillar (the only one which is skippable). Go under and around it and then go into the foreground to open the Treasure Chest.
- Destroy all of the Bomb Blocks in the background with the 3D Laser Bar.
- In the background of the room with the sloped floors, once the first slope ends, there is more to the right, covered by vines.
- In the room with the Gigatzos, there is a Terrain Block that blocks off a path to an optional room. In the optional room, light the fuse with Fire and move the block to keep the spark going to the Cannon.
- In the room with Invincible Candy, quickly fly up and, to the left, go through the spikes and destroy the Bomb Block.
- In the following room, go below the door. Behind it is a 3D Warpstar, which leads to another door in the background. In the next room is an optional door. In the optional room, use Archer to hit the target through the face's mouth.
- In the last area, skip the end door.
- Use Fire from Flame Galboros to light fuse. Use other cannons to reach the top before the spark reaches the cannon up top. Use Fire to then melt the Ice Blocks.
- Attack the skiing Key Dee.
- Match the heads to the husband and wife snowmen.
- Use Hypernova to inhale the Waddle Dee house made of wood.
- Defeat Kracko.
- Bring the Timed Dynamite to the Durable Blocks. Use Cutter's Hyper Boomerang to hit the left and right skiing Key Dees respectively.
- In Treasure Chest after defeating Mr. Frosty DX.
- Use Beetle from Hornhead to cut some of the grass. There's a Key and a locked door. Bring the key to the door, then enter. Go into the following optional room from there. Move the 8-ton weight so that it's above the Durable Blocks, and use Beetle to cut the rope. Pressing the switch opens the gate above the other Durable Block as well as access to another 8-ton weight higher up. Move the second weight above the remaining Durable Block, and then cut the rope.
- Defeat the Key Dee. This is best done with a projectile, as when close, he hides in the background. Destroy the Bomb Block in the optional room to cause the platform underneath the Waddle Dees in the foreground to disappear, as they are obscuring a soft platform that leads to the Sun Stone.
- In the room with the spinning, spiked totem; in plain sight.
- In the room with waterfalls, skip the 3D Warpstar to go to the optional room. Swim to the right.
- Use Wheel from Grand Wheelie to drive on the river, destroy some blocks on its surface, and pass through Gordos.
- In the background of the last room, destroy the Bomb Block near the Barbar.
- One of the Nidoos disguised as a platform will leave behind spikes and an optional door in its place. Use the triple 3D Tilt Missile to hit the Star Block, the Bomb Block, and the switch respectively.
- Bring the Key in the second Truth Mirror room to the locked door. It can be found in the top left of the area.
- User Hypernova to inhale the Ace Fuwa Rover in the second Hypernova room.
- Inhale the curtain from the window to burn away the Nidoos, revealing the real door. Inhale the window panes to cause the Sun Stone to enter the room.
- Use the 3D Laser Bar to get the Treasure Chest in the background.
- Defeat Blocky before the Treasure Chest in the background goes too far.
- In the second Flame Cobra room, allow the Collapse Blocks to disappear.
- In the room with the scale platforms, defeat the Waddle Doo in the background. Go back to the foreground and stand on the corresponding platform to cause the platform the Waddle Doo was standing on to rise. Below the platform is a Treasure Chest.
- Use Fire to burn grass to find a Key. In the background is a locked door with a Treasure Chest behind it.
- In the same room, burn the grass below the Pacto to reveal an optional door. In the optional room, defeat the Cappy in order to lift its scale platform. Once the platform the Cappy was standing on is at high as it can get, go back to the background, grab the Key, get on the right platform, and then get onto the lifted left platform to open the locked door.
- Use the 3D Helmet Cannon to destroy the Durable Blocks and Bomb Blocks in the background and foreground to gain access to the Treasure Chests. This also gives the rare keychain.
- Defeat Coily Rattler.
- Destroy the Star Blocks obscuring the optional door. Light the fuse and title the block to keep the spark going.
- In Treasure Chest after defeating Bonkers DX.
- In the room with the Tilt Gondolaa, get the Key to the left to the locked door to the right. Float above for the Sun Stone.
- Use Ice from Mr. Frosty to douse the Fire Blocks in the following room. This will allow access to an optional room. In the optional room, Ice Skate on the Fire Blocks to turn them to stone. Cool the Fire Blocks above to make the Treasure Chest fall down.
- Race the Key Dee using Wheel.
- Go into the background; in plain sight.
- Using Stone from Blocky, pound the stake at the bottom of the room with Barbars. Enter the optional door. Quickly drop the Timed Dynamite, hover up, and pounds all of the stakes before it explodes. It will destroy a large Durable Block that was blocking the way to the Sun Stone.
- Inhale the Treasure Chest using through the second Magic Tube using Hypernova.
- In the next room, inhale the Land Barbar using Hypernova in order to uncover the switch in the background. Press the switch to open the gate in the foreground.
- In the second room with the moving spiked walls, skip the door by floating upward and destroying another barrel. Aim the first cannon slightly to the left. Aim the second cannon directly up. However, in order to get the rare keychain beforehand, aim slightly to the left again. Then, aim upward.
- In the room with the scales, step on the scale so that the platform above the Timed Dynamite is lifted. Go to the background, pick up the Timed Dynamite, lower the platform that was just lifted, go back into the foreground, jump onto the lifted platform and place the Timed Dynamite next to the Durable Block.
- In the third room with the moving spiked walls, enter to door that is higher up.
- Use the 3D Tilt Missiles to hit all of the Durable Blocks in the background. Bring the Key to the locked door, and destroy the Bomb Block after the 1UP.
- After using Archer to destroy the Bomb Block that creates a stairway, on the top, hit a Bomb Block directly above to reveal an optional room. Hit the targets through the mouth.
- Between the two lava spouts while on the second lava drill.
- Defeat the Winged Eggers.
1a. In Treasure Chest after defeating Flame Galboros. Destroy the Bomb Block using Fire's Burn.
1b. In Treasure Chest after defeating Grand Wheelie. Destroy blocks using Wheel.
2a. In Treasure Chest after defeating Gigant Edge. Use Sword's Down Thrust, Drill Stab, and Upward Slash to destroy all the blocks in the way.
2b. In Treasure Chest after defeating Mr. Frosty. Use Ice's Ice Breath while on the Collapse Blocks to destroy the Star Blocks. The Treasure Chest is also on a Collapse Block, so act quickly.
3a. In Treasure Chest after defeating Blocky. Use Stone on the second Bomb Block.
3b. In Treasure Chest after defeating Hornhead. Use Beetle's Rocket Horn and Rocket Dive.
4. In Treasure Chest after defeating Bonkers. Use Hammer to destroy the Bomb Block.
- Defeat Pyribbit.
- Use the 3D Laser Bar to make sure the second Key Dee reaches the locked door safely. Destroy Bomb Blocks and volcanic debris. Behind the locked door is an optional room and a Spynum for Archer. Shoot through both mouths to hit all four targets.
- In Treasure Chest after defeating Grand Wheelie DX.
- In the room with the Lollipop Tank, there's a ladder below the floor. Climbing down it will lead to an alcove with a couple of barrels.
- In the room with Cannons, there's an area on the ceiling without spikes. Shoot it. Move both 8-ton weights to the far right. Then, move them back to the left to that only the top weight is above the left Durable Block. Use Sword from Gigant Edge or Beetle from the HAL Room to cut the rope of the top 8-ton weight. Use the 3D Warpstar to go into the foreground to press the switch, opening the gate above the second Durable Block. Move the remaining weight to the far right and cut the rope.
- Fall through the soft platform in the second room with the Waddle Dee Tank. Destroy the Bomb Block, as it will get rid of the platform beneath the tank. Destroy the Bomb Block preventing further progress. Destroy the barrel to find a 3D Warpstar. Take it to the background to retrieve the Treasure Chest.
- In the room after fighting Coily Rattler, there is an optional room. Use the Tilt Bowl to cause the flowers to bloom. The right flower releases a Key, the left flower releases a red Star and serves as a platform.
- Match the heads to the husband and wife snowmen.
- Inhale the Treasure Chest using through the Magic Tube.
- In the room with the Cannon Towers, there's a ladder in the area with the second Cannon Tower. Hover and climb up the ladder for another Cannon Tower that has an optional door. In the optional room, move the Furnace Bot under the ice below the toy truck. Move the truck into the pit. Pull the Furnace Bot so that it's under the block of ice containing the Sun Stone. Pull on the purple switch once the ice has melted in order to safely collect the Sun Stone.
- After taking the top-right Warp Hole, hit all of the switches and destroy all of the Durable Blocks with the 3D Helmet Cannon in order to get the Key to the locked door.
- After taking the top-left Warp Hole, enter the optional room in the background with Hammer from Bonkers. Use Hammer Flip to light the fuse. Move the blocks to keep the spark going.
- Take the 3D Warpstar that appears after defeating Mr. Frosty DX.
- Take the 3D Warpstar that appears after defeating the three Grand Wheelie DXes. Keep moving to the left.
- User Circus's Fire-Hoop Jump to melt the Ice Blocks below the Springy Hands, allowing access to an optional room. Grab the Sun Stone quickly, but also melt the Ice Blocks below using Circus or Fire.
- Use the second Timed Dynamite to destroy the Durable Block. Enter the optional room. Use the 3D Laser Bar to destroy the Durable Blocks, but not the regular ones. Open the Treasure Chest.
- In Treasure Chest after defeating Hornhead DX and Gigant Edge DX.
- To the top left of the end door; in plain sight.
- Sun Stones are similar in concept to Energy Spheres in Kirby's Return to Dream Land, with both Grand Sun Stones and pieces of the Lor Starcutter being found after defeating a boss.
- The only stage that contains no Sun Stones and no Grand Sun Stones is the final battle.
- Sun Stones that already have been collected by the player will turn chrome. These are worth 10 stars. Grand Sun Stones also turn chrome after they are collected, but they are not worth any stars.
- In a Behind the Scenes Miiverse post, director Shinya Kumazaki mentions that the Sun Stones contain the power of sunlight, and that a character who "dislikes the sun" may have turned the light into gems in an effort to "rob Floralia of its light." This comment may imply that Necrodeus, the antagonist of Kirby Mass Attack, is the creator of the Sun Stones.
- From a logical standpoint, the Sun Stones are arguably the most counterproductive items Kirby must collect in one of his games. Kirby is not directly told the value of the items nor does he have any reason to collect them outside of clearing away clouds, which the game does not directly state are invulnerable to things outside of the Sun Stones. Additionally, the Grand Sun Stones indirectly cause the Dreamstalk to grow; this enables Taranza to take King Dedede higher into the sky and eventually reach his destination. Queen Sectonia eventually fuses with the fully-grown Dreamstalk and poses a threat to the inhabitants of Planet Popstar, which would not have happened if Kirby had not collected the Grand Sun Stones.
|“||These are hidden throughout the stages. Collect a certain number of them to unlock the end-of-level boss stage. Collect even more to unlock extra stages.”|
|— Instruction manual description • Kirby: Triple Deluxe|