|“||Use ↑ to raise your noble blade, and then work with a friend to add Sizzle, Zap, Blizzard, and other effects to it! If you've got an icy blade, create ice and smash it with a Sword Dive. Got a windy blade? Use its wild updraft!”|
|— Flavor Text • Kirby Star Allies|
Perhaps one of his most iconic powers, Sword Kirby wears a long green hat similar to Link from The Legend of Zelda series and wields a sword. Beyond its design, the Sword ability is often easily accessed, as Kirby can get it from a wide array of enemies in each game. Notable sword-yielding enemies include Sword Knight, Blade Knight, and Heavy Knight. Usually, Meta Knight offers Kirby a sword before Kirby fights him.
In earlier Kirby games, Sword Kirby's moveset is limited to a basic horizontal swipe. However, in more recent games, Sword Kirby is capable of using more advanced swordplay techniques, sometimes including Final Cutter, one of Cutter's primary attacks.
In Kirby: Squeak Squad, the Sword ability can be mixed into Ice Sword, Fire Sword, or Thunder Sword with the correct ability. However, this can only be done if Kirby finds the necessary Ability Scroll.
In Kirby: Planet Robobot, using the Kirby series Meta Knight amiibo will result in Kirby obtaining a unique costume, which has Meta Knight's color scheme, a mini Meta Knight mask and a replica of Galaxia.
In Team Kirby Clash and Team Kirby Clash Deluxe, Sword (referred to as Sword Hero) is one of the four roles Kirby can choose from. The Sword Hero's Spin Slash and Twister Slash can be charged to up to 3 levels, but no longer give invincibility to Kirby. A unique aspect given to the Sword Hero was his shield, which renders him completely immune to most attacks, and also shields other allies within a small area.
|Overhead Slash||B/Y/1||Kirby slashes at the enemy with his sword.|
|Spin Slash||Hold 1, then release||Kirby charges up his sword with energy, then twirls with it outstretched damaging enemies in a close range.|
|Uppercut||B/Y after Chop||Kirby makes a quick slash motion up. It is less accurate than the Sword Slash, but it is more powerful and can hit slightly airborne enemies.|
|Multisword Attack||B/Y/1 + B/Y/1 (+ B/Y/1)||Kirby attacks with lightning-fast sword slashes that are nearly impossible to see.|
|Cleave||B/1 + B/1 + B/1||Kirby ends his Multisword Attack with one final swing.|
|Final Cutter||↑ + B (cannot be used in midair)||Kirby jumps in the air and does a flip, then he falls, sword outstretched. This move comes from Cutter, but the first two slashes are removed.|
|Sword Spin||(Dash +) B/Y/1 in midair||Kirby swings the sword quickly in midair, damaging all enemies that come into contact with it.|
|Chop & Thrust||B/Y/1 (midair)||Kirby thrusts the sword at the enemy, doing damage and pushing Kirby back.|
|Hat Thrust||↓ after Chop||Kirby holds his sword downwards and can bounce of the enemy this way. Similar to the Down Thrust in Kirby Super Star, but Kirby does not retract his sword after hitting the enemy.|
|Sword Beam||B/Y/1 (at full health)||Kirby slashes and a sword beam comes out to damage enemies.|
|Drill Stab||Dash + B/Y/1||Kirby lunges forwards, sword outstretched, to stab his enemies. In certain games where this move is not present, a similar move replaces the Slide.|
|Down Thrust||↓ + B (Midair)||Kirby thrusts his sword downwards and inflicts damage on any enemy unfortunate enough to be below him.|
Meta Knight's; he drops straight down at a higher speed and is not pushed back by enemies after attacking.
|Upward Slash||↑ + B/1||Kirby slashes with his sword upwards, damaging unfortunate enemies above him.|
|Sword Dive||↓ + B/1 after Upward Slash||Kirby slams down on top of foes as if using Final Cutter.|
|Twister Slash||Press and hold B and then release + ↑||Kirby charges up and unleashes a spin attack while jumping.|
|Sky Energy Sword||Press and hold ↑ and then B||Kirby raises his sword over his head to charge it with energy. He then unleashes this energy as a ranged attack when he slashes.|
Kirby Battle Royale Moveset
|Horizontal Slash||B||Kirby slashes his sword in front of him. Similar to Chop/Overhead Slash, but performed horizontally.||40|
|Successive Slash||B + B||Kirby rapidly slashes in front of him following the horizontal slash. Similar to Multisword Attack.||30x4|
|Cleave||B + B + B||Kirby finishes his rapid slashing with a slam into the ground.||125|
|Sword Spin||B during jump||Kirby swings his sword in a pitch movement.||65|
|Spin Slash||Hold/release B||Kirby charges up his sword with energy, and then spins in a yaw movement. Kirby can move while charging.||500|
|Drill Stab||Y||Kirby lunges forward with his sword outstretched. Can be used in the air.||65x3|
Robobot Armor Mode
|Power Beam Saber||B||The Robobot Armor slashes forward with a beam blade.||None|
|Combo Beam Slash||B repeatedly||The Robobot Armor performs a combo attack consisting of four chops forward and one final spinning move.||Electricity|
|Twin Saber Dance||↓ + B||The Robobot Armor drills downward with two beam blades.||None|
Elemental Attributes in Kirby Star Allies
|Drill Stab||Kirby leaves a trail of crystalline ice on the ground behind him.||Kirby dashes forward for a much greater distance.||Kirby leaves a trail of fire on the ground behind him.||Kirby leaves a trail of water on the ground behind him.||Kirby leaves a trail of sparks on the ground behind him.|
|Sword Spin||N/A||Kirby floats up a small distance when performing this move.||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Chop and Thrust||N/A||Kirby's falling speed is slowed while he performs this move.||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Hat Thrust||N/A||Kirby descends slowly.||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Down Thrust||When Kirby slams into the ground, he creates four icicles, two to either side of him.||When Kirby slams into the ground, he raises a small whirlwind around himself.||When Kirby slams into the ground, he creates a fiery explosion that sets off a blaze on the floor.||When Kirby slams into the ground, he releases two water droplets that splash to either side of him.||When Kirby slams into the ground, he summons a bolt of lightning to hit his sword and create a small electrical explosion.|
|Upward Slash||Kirby creates a mass of crystalline ice as he leaps upward.||Kirby leaps up a much greater distance.||N/A||Kirby releases a fine mist of water before he leaps into the air.||N/A|
|Sword Dive||Kirby shatters the ice he made with the Upward Slash, shooting ice debris forward.||When Kirby slams into the ground, he raises a large whirlwind around himself.||When Kirby slams into the ground, he leaps forward and slams his sword into the ground again, sending a wave of fire forward.||When Kirby slams into the ground, he releases three water droplets that splash onto the ground, two in front of himself and one behind himself.||When Kirby slams into the ground, he summons a bolt of lightning to hit his sword and create a large electrical explosion.|
|Spin Slash||Kirby creates four large icicles, two to either side of him.||Kirby leaps into the air while spinning, creating a small cyclone.||Kirby creates a fiery cyclone that sets off a blaze on any nearby floor.||Kirby releases four water droplets that splash onto the ground, two to either side of himself.||After charging, Kirby raises his sword to absorb a bolt of lightning, then uses it to create a large electrical explosion as he spins.|
|Twister Slash||N/A||Kirby leaps high into the air while spinning, creating a large cyclone.||N/A||Kirby releases three water droplets that splash onto the ground, one in front of himself and two behind himself.||At the apex of his jump, Kirby summons a bolt of lightning onto himself, creating a large electrical explosion.|
In Kirby: Right Back at Ya!
Along with Fighter, this is perhaps one of Kirby's most powerful melee abilities in the anime. It uses the same green hat, but the color of the blade itself is yellow-gold instead of silver or blue.
The ability retains several of its previous attacks, such as Spinning Sword, but also adds the powerful Sword Beam. Taught to him by Meta Knight, it is an attack that uses the limits of one's power in a huge blade of energy (if Kirby can clear his mind first). It cannot be blocked except for when Kracko used one his powerful lightning bolts to block it. Sword Kirby can also cause his sword to expand in size, but he only does that in one episode. It's also possible for the sword to be broken.
Similar to Sword is the Galaxia ability, which works the same way, only much more powerful (another difference is how the regular Sword Beam is white, but the Galaxia Sword Beam is green-yellow).
Transformation SequenceIn the transformation sequence, Kirby spins and forms his hat, the tip of which then falls on his face. He straightens the hat and takes out his sword.
Sword, along with Tornado and Ice, are the fourth most commonly seen Copy Abilities in the anime, with five appearances each. If Galaxia appearances are also counted, it would have seven appearances, making it the second most common ability in the anime. For the purposes of this list, however, Sword and Galaxia are considered separate abilities.
- Kirby's Duel Role (First Use)
- Dark and Stormy Knight
- A Princess in Dis-Dress
- Crusade for the Blade
- Teacher's Threat
In the Super Smash Bros. series
The hats Kirby gets when copying Link, Young Link, and Toon Link look just like Sword Kirby's hat (but Kirby gets either a boomerang or a bow & arrow, and not a sword), though this is to be expected since Sword's hat is a reference to Link in the first place. Sword's version of Final Cutter is taken from these games.
|Use the sword to defeat enemies! If you attack in midair, Kirby will spin and slash!|
|The King of weapons! Fire beams from the tip of your sword. Become a master by practicing multi-sword attacks.|
|I can't lose with this sword! If they zig, I cut 'em! (If they zag, I cut 'em, too!)|
|You wield the king of blades! At full health, you shoot beams! Show your sword mastery!|
|Don a green hat and take sword in hand! Spin Slash! Do a Sword Dive as your finishing strike! It's all about the flourish.|
|The undisputed king of melee weapons. Drill Stab, Down Thrust, Spin Slash-- the list goes on. Finish with a Sword Dive, and then raise your blade to the heavens and let out a war cry!|
|The undisputed king of melee weapons. Drill Stab, Down Thrust, Spin Slash - the list goes on. You can even pretend to be a certain legendary green hero!|
|Get close to your opponent and slash! An easy ability to learn, even for novices.|
|Use ↑ to raise your noble blade, and then work with a friend to add Sizzle, Zap, Blizzard, and other effects to it! If you've got an icy blade, create ice and smash it with a Sword Dive. Got a windy blade? Use its wild updraft!|
|“||Kirby is brave when he has a sword!”|
|— Intro description • Kirby's Adventure|
|“||A Kirby ability made when Kirby inhales a sword-wielding foe or a sword itself. Doing so provides Kirby with a rapid sword slash, a jumping sword spin, or even the energy-beam blast of the Final Sword. It wouldn't be a stretch to say that this is the #1 Copy Ability in terms of accessibility.”|
|— Trophy description • Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|“||When Kirby dons a green cap and gets that blade in his hand, watch out! Launch charge attacks, lightning-speed slices, and more.”|
|— Sword's description • Kirby's Return to Dream Land official site|
|“||Cut evil down to size with the sword of science! Power Beam Saber!”|
|— In-game description for the Sword Mode of Robobot Armor • Kirby: Planet Robobot|
|“||That green cap makes Kirby seem heroic, doesn't it? Maybe wearing it just inspires Kirby, but while he's wearing it, he gets all kinds of neat moves, like Spin Slash, Multisword Attack, and Sword Dive. He's even able to pull off these moves in the air, on the ground, or underwater!”|
|— Trophy Description • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U|
|“||Deliver swiping and slashing attacks!”|
|— Kirby Battle Royale - Kirby's 25th Anniversary Copy Ability Poll|
|“||Cool sword you've got there. Hope you're putting it to good use. Spin Slash is fairly unbeatable. Be sure to train every day!”|
|— Knuckle Joe • Kirby Battle Royale|
In Other Languages
The meaning of the Sword ability's name is constant throughout all other languages, always meaning sword. For Japanese, it is ソード (Sōdo); for German, Schwert; for Spanish, Espada; for French, Épée; for Italian, Spada; and for Chinese, 利剑 (Lì jiàn, literally Sharp Sword).
- Kirby's hat and the sword are direct references to Link, the main protagonist in The Legend of Zelda series. Despite this though, he instead gets the Boomerang when he copies Link in Super Smash Bros., and the Bow & Arrow when he copies him in Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U, since Kirby copies whatever his opponent's standard special is in that series.
- Kirby can only shoot sword beams when he is at full health. This is also a direct reference to The Legend of Zelda series, as in various games, Link was able to shoot beams from his sword at full health.
- The Spin Slash is a direct reference to the Spin Attack, a recurring sword technique in The Legend of Zelda series.
- The Sky Energy Sword is a direct reference to the Skyward Strike in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. It functions similarly by the fact it involves pointing the sword upwards to charge in order to shoot beams of increased strength.
- The Sword's current design also resembles the Master Sword in color and appearance.
- When using the elemental sword abilities (Fire Sword, Ice Sword and Thunder Sword) in Kirby: Squeak Squad, the pom-pom and the yellow edge of Kirby's hat change colors to match the element.
- Sword Kirby and the Blade Knight helper cannot normally use the upwards thrust. Meta Knight and Sword Knight can use the thrust, but those characters are only playable in certain sub-games in Kirby Super Star Ultra.
- In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, Kirby gains the ability to charge his blade and perform a spin attack and can also use an uppercut.
- In the anime, Kirby gets the Sword ability from a sword-wielding Bugzzy, who only gives Backdrop or Suplex in the games, and from Kracko's sword-shaped lightning bolts, even though Kracko's lightning bolts cannot be inhaled in the games.
- Kirby's yell is reminiscent of Young Link's from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
- The flavor text for Kirby Super Star and Kirby Super Star Ultra calls the sword "the king of blades/weapons". This may be a further reference to The Legend of Zelda games, as Link's sword is called the Master Sword.
- In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, there is an upgraded version of Sword called Ultra Sword, alongside other Super Abilities.
- In Kirby: Squeak Squad, the Sword ability could be used to cut away at foliage, thus altering the landscape around Kirby, and sometimes revealing hidden items.
- Sword is the only Copy Ability to have more than one Helper for it in Helper to Hero.
- The Spin Slash attack in Kirby's Return to Dream Land was originally seen in the Kirby GCN trailer. It was transferred to the final Wii product in the end.
- In Kirby Fighters Deluxe, Sword's alternate costume is Blade Knight's helmet.
- In the 25th Anniversary Poll that ran on the Official Kirby Website, Sword was unveiled on November 7, 2017 to have placed in the top ten.
- In Kirby Star Allies, Zap Sword looks very similar to the Levin Sword belonging to Robin from the Fire Emblem series.
- In Kirby Star Allies, a sword that looks very similarly to the one from this ability appears as one of the symbols on Void Termina's body.
- Notes from the ESRB that explain Kirby: Triple Deluxe’s E rating explicitly mention the Sword ability, saying: "As players traverse through colorful levels, they defeat enemies by swallowing them, spitting back projectiles or using “cartoony” weapons (e.g., swords, whips, bows)."