|This article is about the regular enemy. For the Copy Ability Kirby obtains from him, see UFO. For the transformation in Kirby's Epic Yarn, see Saucer.|
Kirby: Squeak Squad artwork
|“||This creature's moves are unpredictable, and his aim is very precise!”|
|— UFO's Cast Description • Kirby's Epic Yarn|
UFO (sometimes referred to as Mr. UFO to avoid confusion with the UFO ability) is a rare enemy that appears in some of the games in the Kirby series. He resembles a flying saucer with eyes, and flies around the screen (and usually into Kirby), occasionally stopping to fire a laser. He grants the rare UFO Copy Ability when inhaled.
Recently however, UFO has taken the role of awarding Kirby during various Goal Games rather than as an enemy.
UFO resembles a flying saucer with eyes. He is an iridescent pearl-white in color with a yellow dish-like antenna on top and three prongs at his base. Some UFOs encountered by Kirby are a pale peachy in color.
Originally, he had a light-blue dome with a dark blue base and four orbs below him, similar in shape to UFO Kirby.
Kirby's Adventure is UFO's first appearance, he is very rare—appearing in only four stages throughout the entire game. UFO also doesn't respawn like ordinary enemies do when Kirby goes forward and then back, but rather if the game system is shut off and restarted.
In Nightmare in Dream Land, they don't travel off screen as often and are more likely to pursue Kirby as a result.
In Kirby's Dream Course, UFO appears very rarely on certain courses. Because he floats in the air, he can only be hit with a fly-shot. The ability UFO gives in this game was also changed to follow the gameplay. Rather than giving Kirby a wide array of attacks, the UFO ability gives him freedom to limitlessly roam across the course.
UFO appears as an enemy in King Dedede's Castle. It floats up and down and drops a Flip item when defeated. UFO also serves as the opponent in the Air Hockey sub-game. Kirby's Block Ball reveals that this enemy has a mouth (which is only shown when it scores a point in Air Hockey) and, like Bouncy, it seems to be a spherical enemy who pilots a vehicle that looks like an extension of its body. This is seen when Kirby defeats the enemy.
UFO appears in both Kirby & The Amazing Mirror and Kirby: Squeak Squad as an uncommon enemy. They are identical in both appearance and behavior to their Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land incarnations except appear much more infrequently, and they now respawn like other enemies. In Kirby's Pinball Land, UFO actually proves to be helpful by towing Maxim Tomatoes and Warp Stars in Whispy Woods Land. He could also be found in Kirby's Epic Yarn where he was mainly located in Space Land. In Kirby's Return to Dream Land, when Kirby completes a level, a UFO can be seen, and he gives Kirby stars depending on what cloud he lands on. He reprises this role in Kirby: Triple Deluxe and Kirby: Planet Robobot, dropping keychains/stickers and food as well as stars. In Kirby: Planet Robobot, the UFO enemy will also appear in the Ability Testing Room if that save file has 100% completion, which can also yield its respective ability.
- Kirby's Pinball Land
- Kirby Tilt 'n' Tumble
- Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
- Kirby: Squeak Squad
- Kirby Super Star Ultra (cameo)
- Kirby's Epic Yarn
- Kirby's Return to Dream Land
- Kirby: Triple Deluxe
- Kirby: Planet Robobot (latest appearance)
- In the first level of Vegetable Valley in Kirby's Adventure and Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land, a hidden UFO can be found in the second room. Encountering the first waterfall, hovering over the bottom-left corner under the first ledge, and pressing up reveals a secret area with a UFO. The hidden door can be identified by its darker color behind the waterfall.
- In Kirby's Epic Yarn, if Kirby stays still while viewing UFO in Patch Plaza of Quilty Square long enough, a green variant will fly across the screen. This green UFO is only seen in the levels that include the Rocket Metamortex, and fire off a spreadshot of three lasers in contrast to the typical yellow UFO.
- When possessing a UFO with the Ghost ability in Kirby: Squeak Squad, pressing A will make the UFO quickly jet in a random direction. Regular UFO enemies occasionally do this as part of their erratic flight pattern.